Dandruff is a common problem faced by men and women alike, all around the world today. Dandruff is caused due to the accumulation of dead skin cells in the scalp. The formation of a mild fungus called Malassezia or Pityrosporum lead to the accumulation of the dead skin cells that form an itchy, scaly layer, and this layer flakes off resulting in dandruff. Dandruff can also be the result of climate change, pollution, hormonal imbalance, constipation, hair styling products, poor hygiene, etc.
Although the market offers attractive products to get rid of dandruff, these products might harm your hair and scalp in the long run. Olive oil is a nature’s gift to treat dandruff effectively. Olive oil not only helps in moisturizing the scalp and cleansing it, but also repairs damaged hair, strengthens the roots, stimulates blood flow, and softens the hair. This wonder oil can also be used alone or with a combination of natural ingredients to treat dandruff effectively.
Warm Olive Oil
You can use warm olive oil to prevent the formation of dandruff, and it will moisturize the scalp and promote healthy growth of the hair.
- Take extra virgin olive oil and warm it over indirect heat
- With your fingertips, massage the oil in circular motions for a few minutes
- Wrap your hair in a towel and leave it on for 30 minutes or overnight
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo
- Repeat this daily for a week
If you are suffering from chronic dandruff, wait for a couple of days and repeat the process again for a week. You will be happy to see your scalp clearing the dandruff.
Olive Oil With Curd And Aloe Vera
Aloe vera contains pectin, a naturally occurring substance that helps in the breakdown of dead skin cells and in the generation of new cells. Curd
- Extract 3 teaspoons of aloe vera gel
- Mix the gel with 3 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil and ½ a cup of curd
- Massage the mixture on your scalp
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and wash it with a mild shampoo
- Repeat this thrice a week
Apple Cider Vinegar And Olive Oil
Apple cider vinegar is rich in acetic and malic acids that help in killing bacteria and fungus, resulting in the elimination of dandruff. It also maintains the scalp’s pH level preventing the formation of dandruff.
- Take 2 teaspoons each of apple cider vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Mix them.
- Massage the mixture on the scalp in circular motions
- Leave it on for 30 minutes
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo
- Repeat this daily
Black Pepper And Olive Oil
Black pepper contains selenium and zinc, which are important elements to fight dandruff and maintain a healthy scalp.
- Take 1 teaspoon of black pepper and mix it with 3 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Rub the mixture on the scalp in circular motions
- Leave it on for an hour
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo
- Repeat this every day until the dandruff goes off completely
Fenugreek Seeds And Olive Oil
Fenugreek seeds are very helpful in reducing dandruff and controlling hair fall, making the hair stronger and shiny. When used with olive oil, fenugreek seeds can eliminate dandruff from the scalp effectively.
- Soak 2 teaspoons of fenugreek seeds in cool water overnight
- In the morning, strain the water out and mash the seeds to make a fine paste
- Mix the paste with ½ a cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Apply the mixture on the scalp gently
- Leave it on for
- Rinse with water. You may use a mild shampoo if you wish to
- Repeat this process daily
Basil And Olive Oil
Basil is widely known for its antiseptic and antibacterial properties. Using basil with olive oil can help reduce dandruff and promote a healthy scalp.
- Grind fresh basil leaves and extract the juice
- Mix 1 teaspoon of the extracted basil juice with ½ a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Massage it on the scalp and leave it overnight
- Wash the hair with a mild shampoo in the morning
- Repeat this daily for best results
Turmeric And Olive Oil
The antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric help in removing dandruff from the scalp effectively. Turmeric is also known to contain antioxidants that strengthen the roots.
- Mix 1
- Apply this on the scalp and massage in circular motions
- Leave this on for 30-45 minutes
- Wash your scalp with a mild shampoo
- For best results, repeat this daily
Lemon Juice And Olive Oil
Lemon juice contains vitamins and citric acid that helps in the effective removal of dandruff from the scalp.
Take 1 teaspoon each of fresh lemon or lime juice and olive oil.
- Massage the mixture on the scalp gently
- Leave it on overnight
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo in the morning
- Repeat this process daily for best results
These simple home remedies can effectively eliminate dandruff and keep your scalp clean and healthy. It is important to note that only extra virgin olive oil will give the best results as olive oil containing chemicals might harm the scalp and might not be a good idea to use it with other