Are you happy to give your child a dose of antibiotics or painkillers like Paracetamol or Ibuprofen every time he or she complains and shows some symptoms of being unwell? I am sure many of you wouldn’t be happy to do it, just like me.
But one thing for sure, we all want our little stars to shine …
So the key is TO ESTABLISH CONSISTENT DAILY ROUTINE. Children feel a sense of security, confidence, and stress reduction when they know what to expect on a daily basis.
Sometimes change in everyday activity, diet changes and making sure your child is getting enough rest can do the trick. But if they do need some medicine try to look through the tips I am sharing here (some symptoms do need immediate attention from the doctor and you will be the first person to decide what works best for your child)
Abdominal Pain Relief
- Make herbal tea from the powder of Ajamoda/ajwain (bishop’s weed) and Saunf (fennel). Boil it in water and
- Mix Dhania (Coriander) powder with some sugar-candy. Give it few times in a day.
- A mixture of ajwain (bishop’s weed) and rock salt can be given a few times in a day to chew.
- Tulsi (Holy Basil) is very effective for treating cold symptoms. If available prepare juice of a few tulsi leaves in water and mix it with honey. Give your child this mixture 3/4 times a day.
- Raw honey mixed with a pinch of ginger and turmeric is excellent to ward off symptoms related to cold.
- Give Prune juice diluted with equal amount of water, twice a day.
- Soak some dry black currants/ raisins/ or prunes in water and then give it with warm water at bedtime.
- A cup of warm milk with half a teaspoon of ghee must be given at bedtime.
- Psyllium Husk or Isabgol is very effective. You need to soak it overnight and give it the next
Dental Caries And Toothache
- Take a Clove (clove oil will be too strong) and Asafetida on a cotton swab and keep it over the carious tooth.
- Eucalyptus oil and Camphor oil put on a cotton swab can also be placed over the carious tooth.
Pomegranate fruit is a wonder fruit when it comes to treating diarrhea. Powder the rind of Pomegranate fruit and mix it with pomegranate juice. Give one teaspoon 3/4 times a day.
Gas/ Bloating /Trapped Wind
This is a proven home remedy for relieving these symptoms.
Get some hing/asafetida and make a paste of it with a spoonful of ghee. Apply this paste around the belly in circular motions.
TIP: It’s always advisable to check sensitivity of your child to any external application. In rare cases where children have very sensitive skin, this application can cause redness or skin rash. So be careful and do a test patch.
Give Licorice (Yashtimadhu) stick to your child to chew. I can bet he/she will enjoy the sweet taste LICORICE
Add Licorice and Turmeric powder
Mix Licorice powder with Cardamom powder and give with Ginger and Lime water.
- The very common home remedy for worms is giving boiled milk with Vidanga seeds in it.
- Palash beej powder can be licked along with honey.
It is important to understand your child’s constitution (prakruti) as we are born with a unique combination of Vata, pitta, and kapha. Once you understand your child’s mind-body type it will be easier for you to help your child. Feel free to contact me in case any query or doubt.