I love a smoothie bowl. Its one of the simplest breakfasts that can be thrown together in minutes. And, what makes the smoothie bowl more special than a regular smoothie is that they’re topped with fun ingredients, made slightly thicker and eaten with a spoon. It’s a colourful spin on a granola and yoghurt bowl that tastes as good as it looks.
What I like about smoothie bowls is that they make me rethink the breakfast equation. Often plant-based, nutrient-packed, and pretty to look at, smoothie bowls are a great way to pack extra vegetables and fruits into your morning routine – without having to go to a whole heap of trouble.
Balance is key when it comes to creating your own Smoothie Bowl. This balance is created by ensuring your bowl consists of each of the 3 types of macronutrients.
Macronutrients are primary nutrients that provide the body with energy in the form of calories. They are required in significant amounts in the diet as opposed to micronutrients which are needed in small amounts.
The 3 types of macronutrients are carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Micronutrients consist of vitamins and minerals. A Smoothie Bowl is a blank canvas for you to get creative, mix and match textures, combine flavours, and really amp up the nutritional volume! That’s exactly what I’ve done with the following Smoothie Bowl Recipes I created!
Sunrise Smoothie Bowl Recipe
- 1/4 cup vanilla protein powder – vegan
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 medium banana, halved
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (almond, coconut, etc)
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon goji berries
- blackberries and raspberries for the top.
In a blender combine the frozen strawberries, banana, milk of choice, and protein powder and blend until smooth. Transfer smoothie to a bowl and layer on the remaining ingredients as pictured.
You can also add extras like nut butter, granola, or hemp seeds if desired.
Green Smoothie Bowl
- 1/4 ripe avocado
- 1 medium ripe bananas, previously sliced and frozen
- 1 cup fresh or frozen mixed strawberries/raspberries
- 1 large handfuls spinach (organic when possible)
- 1 small handful kale (organic when possible), large stems removed
- 150ml unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- Optional: 1 tbsp. salted creamy almond or peanut butter
Toppings (your choice of combination)
- Roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- Chia Seed
- Raw or roasted nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, etc.)
- Shredded unsweetened coconut
- Fresh berries
- Hemp seeds
Blueberry Protein Bowl
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 scoop your favourite vegan protein powder
- 2 tbsp coconut butter
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 banana
- Unsweetened non-dairy milk e.g. almond, coconut, rice etc.
- 1 tbsp toasted almond flakes, goji berries, chia seed to garnish – or whatever you choose
- Place all ingredients into a blender (excluding the garnish ingredients) and give it a whizz until creamy and blended.
- Pour into a cereal bowl and top with your favorite recipe.