Many items in the produce aisle can help protect your health and the health of your family. Following are a few groups of vegetables that aid in curing/preventing various cancer-related diseases.
Cruciferous vegetables are:
- High in vitamins, fiber and potent anti-cancer phytochemicals.
- They are widely considered to be one of the healthiest food choices you can make.
- Cruciferous vegetables by definition, are vegetables of the family Brassicaceae (also called Cruciferae). These vegetables are widely cultivated, with many genera, species, and cultivars being raised for food production such as cauliflower, cabbage, garden cress, bok choy, broccoli, brussels sprouts and similar green leafy vegetables.
- According to the American Institute for Cancer, there is solid evidence that links cruciferous vegetables and protection against cancer.
- Studies that track the diets of people over time have found that diets high in cruciferous vegetables are linked to lower rates of prostate cancer among men.
Found in produce like cantaloupe and carrots, these plant chemicals act as antioxidants and have been shown to reduce the risk of lung cancer.
Studies have shown that this vegetable group has the ability to stop the growth of cancer cells for tumors in the breast, uterine lining, lung, colon, liver and cervix.
Found in raspberries, strawberries, cranberries, walnuts, pecans and pomegranates, this phyto-chemical can act as an antioxidant, and may help break down and remove some cancer-causing substances.
A polyphenol that may have antioxidant properties, resveratrol is found in the skin of red grapes, cocoa, peanuts, blueberries, and cranberries.
Fiber is rich in antioxidants, helps fight colon cancer, and the phenolic compounds in whole grains may help reduce the risk of certain gastrointestinal cancers.
Linked to lowered risk for gastrointestinal and pancreatic cancers, folate is found in dark green leafy vegetables, fruits and juices, nuts, beans, peas, dairy products, poultry and meat, eggs, seafood, and grains.
Extremely antioxidant-rich, this juice helps prevent prostate and colon cancer.