In India, fuller’s earth is also known as Multani mitti and Gopi chandan. It occurs naturally in sedimentary clay and is composed of alumina, silica, iron oxides, and water in variable proportions.
If you’ve been bogged down by skin or hair problems of late, there’s a good chance a loved one, a celebrity anecdote in a magazine, or a beauty blogger has drawn your attention to fuller’s earth. The use of this natural ingredient dates back to the ancient Roman civilization when it was used to bleach sheep fur, do laundry, clean surfaces, and keep skin and hair healthy. In fact, the word “fuller” comes from the term “fulling” which was used to refer to the process of using a particular clay to clean woolen cloth. The people who engaged in this practice were called “fullers,” hence giving way to the term fuller’s earth. And if you’ve got oily skin, you may find a best friend in oil-absorbing fuller’s earth. But that isn’t the only benefit it has. Here is a list of benefits that fuller’s earth will bring with it.
id="1">1. Cleanses And Exfoliates Skin
An exfoliating fuller’s earth mask will help you get rid of excess oil, dirt and dead cells caused by pollution.1 Be sure to scrub gently and avoid leaving the mask on for more than 15 minutes.
Fuller’s Earth And Honey Mask
- Combine two tablespoons of basic fuller’s earth clay three tablespoons of water. Mix in a tablespoon bit of honey.
- Apply over your face, and leave it on for a few minutes.
- Scrub the mask on your face with circular motions and wipe the residue off with a steaming washcloth.
If you have sensitive or dry skin, be sure to add a few drops of sweet almond oil to the mask for extra nourishment and moisturization.2
2. Manages Oil Production In Skin’s Pores
If you struggle with the greasiness that oily skin brings with it, fuller’s earth could come to your rescue. The clay absorbs excess oil from your pores and manages its production.3
Fuller’s Earth And Rose Water Mask
- Mix equal amounts of fuller’s earth with rose water.
- Apply to the skin for 10-15 minutes or until completely dry. Wash off with cold water.
Besides reducing oiliness, this face pack is believed to aid in refreshing the skin by balancing the skin’s natural pH levels.
3. Unclogs Pores
Oil glands on our skin can sometimes produce excess sebum, which blocks our pores. And dead skin cells inside the pores clump together along with sebum and hair and remain trapped under the surface. Clogged pores are behind the dreaded whiteheads and blackheads. Besides, they make your skin look dull. Fuller’s earth deeply cleanses your pores and gets rid of not just the dead skin cells, but also the excess sebum.4
Fuller’s Earth, Yogurt, And Egg White Mask
- Add 1/4th tablespoon of fuller’s earth to 1 tbsp of yogurt and 1 beaten egg white.
- Leave this paste on for 20 minutes before rinsing it off with cold water.
4. Fights Acne
Fuller’s earth is a must-have in your armory of acne-busting products. Since it cleans out your pores, it prevents them from getting infected with bacteria, which leads to dreaded breakouts. Its high lime and magnesium chloride content is also believed to kill harmful bacteria. Besides, fuller’s earth has anti-inflammatory properties that contribute to its acne-busting properties.6
Fuller’s Earth And Neem Mask
- Mix 1 teaspoon of neem paste, 1 teaspoon of ground clove powder, 1 teaspoon of rose water, 1 teaspoon of camphor, and 2 teaspoons of fuller’s earth.
- Apply this to your breakouts and leave it on for a 15 minutes before washing it off with lukewarm water.
Rose water in the mask will prevent your skin
5. Might Reduce Signs Of Skin Aging
A few studies have shown that fuller’s earth might even-out your complexion and reduce wrinkles. And since it also cleanses your skin and pores, it’s bound to make your skin look younger.8
Fuller’s Earth And Carrot Mask
- Mix 2 teaspoons of fuller’s earth with 2 teaspoons of carrot pulp and 1 teaspoon of virgin olive oil.
- Apply this paste on your skin and leave it on for 15 minutes before washing it off with warm water.
Carrot reduces skin damage caused by UVA and UVB rays, while olive oil ensures moisturization and evens out your skin tone. If you’ve got a sunburn, consider adding yogurt instead of olive oil to this mask.9
6. Relieves An Oily Scalp
Considering the fact that fuller’s earth is the ideal ingredient against oily skin, it should come as no surprise that it also eliminates excessive oil from scalp. In fact, the earliest varieties of dry shampoo contained fuller’s earth. It soaks up any excess oil and reduces greasiness.10
Fuller’s Earth And Soapnut Hair Cleanser
- Soak fuller’s earth in a bowl of cold water for 3 hours.
- Add 1–2 teaspoons of soap nut powder in the fuller’s earth mixture.
- After 30 minutes, massage the mixture into your scalp for 5–10 minutes and wash it off with cold water.
7. May Fight Dandruff
Since fuller’s earth has antibacterial properties, it might double up as an anti-dandruff ingredient. Regular use of it should reduce itchiness associated with dandruff as well.
Fuller’s Earth, Yogurt, And Lemon Hair Mask
- Mix 4 teaspoon of fuller’s earth, ½ cup of yogurt, 2-3 tsp of honey and 2-3
- Apply this mixture on the hair for an hour and rinse with luke-warm water.
Yogurt in this mask prevents hair fall and conditions hair, honey moisturizes, while lemon adds to the anti-dandruff properties.11
8. May Straighten Hair
While this has no scientific research to back it up, folk remedies to straighten hair naturally include fuller’s earth. Regular use of it as a straightening mask may help you avoid excessive straightening treatments.
Fuller’s Earth, Egg White, And Rice Flour Hair Mask
- Add 5 teaspoons of rice flour to 1 cup of fuller’s earth and 1 egg white to make a paste.
- Apply this to your hair, leave it on for 15-30 minutes, and rinse off with cold water.
Few Things to Keep in Mind While Using Fuller’s Earth Hair Masks
- It’s essential to comb your hair to remove
- Try to massage your hair with oil the previous night, if you are planning to apply the hair mask the next day to achieve better results.
- Wait until the hair masks dry which may take anywhere between 15-40 minutes and spray milk using a spray-bottle on your hair.
- Comb your hair with a wide-tooth comb after this for 3-4 times.
- Use a mild shampoo and a natural conditioner (if you have dry hair) and wash with cold or luke-warm water.
You can add fuller’s earth to your monthly beauty regimen by just following some of these beauty recipes or whipping up your own. The benefits that this simple ingredient can offer is numerous, so include them in your beauty ritual today.
|↑1||Goodman, Thomas, and Stephanie Young. Smart Face. Simon and Schuster, 1988.|
|↑2||The Perfect Oil for You. Space Coast.|
|↑3||Fuller’s Earth – Medical Countermeasures
|↑4, ↑8||Fuller’s Earth – Medical Countermeasures Database. US Department Of Health And Human Services.|
|↑5||Get Gorgeous Now: Six Amazing Beauty Hacks. Ogle School.|
|↑6||Ravisankar, P., O. Sai Koushik, V. Himaja, J. Ramesh, and P. Pragna. “Acne-Causes And Amazing Remedial Measures For Acne.” Journal of Pharm Research 5, no. 07 (2015).|
|↑7||Tabassum, Nahida, and Mariya Hamdani. “Plants used to treat skin diseases.” Pharmacognosy reviews 8, no. 15 (2014): 52.|
|↑9||Korać, Radava R., and Kapil M. Khambholja.
|↑10||Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Dry Shampoo. Toni And Guy Hairdressing Academy.|
|↑11||Zaid, Abdel Naser, Nidal Amin Jaradat, Ahmad Mustafa Eid, Hamzeh Al Zabadi, Abdulsalam Alkaiyat, and Saja Adam Darwish. “Ethnopharmacological survey of home remedies used for treatment of hair and scalp and their methods of preparation in the West Bank-Palestine.” BMC complementary and alternative medicine 17, no. 1 (2017): 355.|