If prepping yourself for a baby is one of the most adventurous and exciting thing that has happened in your life, then the moment of your baby’s arrival is probably a life changing one. It is like the culmination of all your efforts, your little moments and dreams, finally coming true.
As is probably known to all, delivery is one of the most painful experiences in nature. If you are one among those thousands of women who is anxious about the pain during labor, you will be at ease to know that there is indeed ways to give you relief at the time of childbirth.
Pain Medication Options For Labor:
You can now bring your baby into the world without having to undergo excruciating labor pain. Here is all about labor pain medication and whether at all, it is a safe option.
- Most doctors state that it is pretty safe for women to opt for pain medication of labor to ease the pain she is bound to feel and bring some relief.
- Many doctors also suggest pain medication for labor, as it can be a painful experience for many women that can also affect the weaker ones psychologically.
- Unless you are found allergic to some of the salts found in the pain medicines, you can safely opt for pain medication and enjoy your newborn instead of suffering both labor pain and the aftermath of delivery.
Pain Threshold Factor:
Most women, who prefer natural birth, are bound to experience pain, but the kind of pain experienced will be different for different women.
The pain will differ depending on your baby’s weight, the length of your baby and the position your baby is in along with the duration of your labor.
Common Types Of Pain Medication For Labor:
There are many medicines that doctors nowadays use across the globe to ease the pain and bring relief to women in labor. However a few medicines are more globally accepted than others.
1. Use Of Analgesics:
These act on the body’s nervous system to bring relief from pain. However, this does not mean one will lose consciousness all together.
- Analgesics just numb the body and remove any feeling of pain.
- The aim is to let the woman relax and rest as she delivers her baby.
- These are also commonly referred to as the systematic analgesics.
These are mostly injected into the intravenous system and are given depending on the level of pain being experienced by the woman in labor.
The side effects of the labor pain medicine could differ from woman to woman which include, but are not limited to drowsiness, nausea, and concentration problems.
2. Epidurals Or Local Anesthesia:
One of the most commonly used pain medication that doctors administer for labor pain is the epidural.
- These work much like local anesthesia and bring pain relief.
- Most commonly used epidurals medicines are the Nesacaine and Lidocaine.
- These are used both for normal deliveries and C-sections. They are sometimes prescribed as postpartum sterilization medicines.
These are usually administered or injected into the lower spine and work by preventing the pain sensation to reach the pain.
Epidurals can lead to reduced blood pressure, soreness, headaches or fever. In some cases it has also been seen to cause dizziness, increase in heartbeat, and change in taste.
3. Combination Of Options 1 & 2:
Many doctors would use both the forms of pain relief depending on the situation and to get the best pain relief for their patient.
- There is no established pattern for the way these medicines are used, but doctors use their expertise to find the best option.
- Naturally, your doctor will also ask what you are comfortable with beforehand, to ensure best
way to reduce pain and bring relief when it comes to using pain medication for your labor.
If you are expecting a baby or planning one, feel free to discuss the many options available to you. Your gynecologist is sure to be able to help you opt for the best pain medication during labor, so you can enjoy every bit of your pregnancy rather than worrying about labor pain.