People strive to lose weight for a variety of reasons, including to boost their self-confidence, improve their health or the overall quality of their life. As the pressure to lose weight increases, more and more people are looking to lose weight using extreme methods which help shed pounds quickly, but in turn, can be extremely hazardous to their mental and physical well-being.
In order to lose weight in a healthy, steady manner so that the quality of our health doesn’t deteriorate, it is important to educate ourselves about some of the most dangerous ways of weight loss.
8 Weight Loss Methods That Could Ruin Your Health
Weight gain doesn’t take place overnight. Similarly, it is unfair to expect your body to lose weight within a few days. Any method that promises you quick weight loss is either making the use of some very potent drugs that are harmful for your health, or is rendered useless in the long run since it will only make you gain your weight back – with a few extra complimentary pounds that will only end up making you
1. No-Calorie Diet
Our body requires a healthy, balanced diet – and this kind of a diet also includes healthy fats. Fats are essential for our body; not only are these a great source of energy, but they also help in the absorption of vitamins and minerals that are vital for your body’s growth and development. Sometimes, food is the only way your body can acquire this essential element because otherwise, your body has no way of synthesizing it by itself.
Fat has some very bad press since most of us weight-watchers believe that consuming any amount of fat will only add to our weight. Marketers cashed in on this belief to manufacture foods that are labeled as “fat-free”. Fat, however, doesn’t directly make you “fat”, in fact, some fats actually help you lose weight faster! It’s only when you consume fats in excessive amounts that
With the growing popularity of the zero-calorie trend, most people are led to believe that consuming “fat-free” foods and diet drinks will actually help them shed their weight faster when this is actually far from the truth. Foods and drinks that fall under the “zero-calorie” category contain a lot of artificial sweeteners that will only cause more harm to your body than good by making you vulnerable to type II diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, hypertension, and even weight gain!
2. Fad Diets
Fad diets like Paleo, Dukan, and Whole30 are all the rage today. If you surf the web or television channels and flip through glossy magazines, you’re sure to find a large number of diets like these that will guarantee to help you shed excess flab
While it is true that a fad diet will help you shed your weight quickly, what you need to know is that this only water weight. The moment you stop your diet and try to get back to your normal lifestyle, you’ll gain your weight back just as quickly, along with a few additional extra pounds. There are many other side effects to fad diets, such as brittle hair and muscle loss, an altered metabolism, and nutritional deficiencies.
3. Skipping Meals
This approach might make a lot of sense, but in reality, starving yourself or skipping meals is very ineffective if you’re trying to lose weight.
Your metabolism is designed to increase after you eat a meal, and skipping meals chronically will condition
Throwing up on purpose, also called purging, can be very dangerous for your health. The habit of purging very often comes with serious psychological effects on the individual. It can either be a symptom of or may even lead to bulimia. It also boosts cravings for unhealthy snacks.
Purging makes the purger believe that the hunger craving has been satisfied by eating the food, but by throwing up, the calories are lost, thereby preventing weight gain.
The laxative diet is not a very new concept. Many people turn to an excessive use of laxatives in the form of powders, teas, and pills in order to lose weight. Frequent bowel
Additionally, laxatives come with a series of unpleasant side effects such as fainting, diarrhea, cramps, dizziness, vomiting, upsetting the body’s natural electrolyte levels, hampering with the body’s natural fat absorption process, and clearing out some very important nutrients and calories that the body needs. Frequent bowel movements resulting from an excessive ingestion of laxatives may also cause intestinal bleeding.
Over-exercising is one of the most dangerous things you can do to lose weight, especially if your body is already lacking in essential nutrients. Over-training can also induce the body to start
7. Drugs And Pills
There is no magic pill that can make people skinny, but taking drugs like cocaine is very often used to help battle weight gain. Unhealthy weight loss is a commonly known symptom of drug abuse, though the mechanisms by which these drugs alter metabolism and appetite still remain unclear. In the long run, these drugs cause some severe damage your brain and your heart.
There are also certain supplements that can help burning excess fat, but these work the best only when paired with good amounts of exercise and healthy eating. Not eating and ingesting weight loss pills and supplements will lead to heart, elevated blood pressure, increased
Smoking is another infamous way of losing weight quickly. The nicotine sends ambiguous signals to your brain that boosts your metabolic rate, consequently killing hunger pangs. Chain smokers can skip meals for hours without feeling hungry, thus reducing the need to consume calories.
As effective as this method may seem when it comes to losing weight, it can cause severe long-term damage to your health, making you weak and more susceptible to diseases such as cancer and tuberculosis.
Healthy Ways You Can Shed Weight Quickly
The reason why so many of us turn to unhealthy ways to lose our flab is because we find that we have plateaued in our weight loss plan. It is, however, possible to use some healthier tricks that have been proven to boost your metabolism and burn your fat just as fast, without all those crazy diets or maniacal workout sessions!
- Don’t Skip Breakfast – Eating a 300-400 calorie breakfast loaded with fiber, fruits, and milk will help you stay full for longer, and will stop you from reaching out for a donut or a cream puff on your way to work.
- Get Enough Sleep – Less sleep is going to keep your body feeling too exhausted to perform its functions properly. Getting 8 hours of work will give your body the rest it needs so it can continue burning those calories efficiently.
- Take Up A New Sport – Lots of us find our comfort zone in routine when it comes to exercising. What we don’t know is that the more you do a certain kind of exercise, the more your body learns to adapt to it. As a result, it won’t need to put in as much effort, and you will end up burning fewer calories. Mixing up your exercise will not only make working out more fun but will also give your body new limits to push so you can shed your weight faster.
- Avoid Alcohol – The best way to stop calories from your food from depositing around your tummy and thighs is to wash them down with water, not alcohol. Alcohol is known to depress your central nervous system, thereby slowing down your metabolic rate. This leads to less burning and more storage of dietary fat in your body.
- Drink Lots Of Water – Drinking 1-2 liters of water every day keeps you well hydrated, curbs hunger pangs, and boosts your metabolism so that your body is able to burn your fats faster.
- Embrace Your Body – Fear of judgment and negative thoughts will drag you on a downward spiral, further away from your end goal. No matter what your size or shape may be, thinking positive thoughts about your body will help you stay positive enough to stay focused so you can lose your weight in a healthy, steady pace.
- Prep Your Meals In Advance – By preparing your meals ahead of time, you can avoid feeling tempted to order a take-out when you’re hungry and tired. Store your food in clean air-tight containers in the refrigerator so that the next time you’re looking for a hunger fix, all you’ve got to do is warm your food and dig right in!
- Go For A Thyroid Check-Up – If your metabolism isn’t working as efficiently as it should, in spite of eating healthy and working out on a daily basis, it’s a good idea to get your thyroid checked right away. Your thyroid gland is responsible for an efficient metabolism, and one of the most common symptoms of an under-active thyroid gland is facing a difficulty in losing weight. Your doctor will be able to diagnose hypothyroidism by running a few blood tests, and will also prescribe a few synthetic thyroid supplements which will help your metabolism return to normal.
There is no quick fix to losing weight. Weight loss is a lifestyle change; it takes time and dedication, and more importantly, should be complemented with the right kind of exercise and diet. Not only does this formula ensure the most success, it also makes sure that you stay healthier and happier in the long run!