Many of us lead busy lives. Regardless, if you work, stay at home or you are a student who is constantly trying to juggle study habits to meet homework deadlines; stress will eventually begin to take its toll, and that’s not healthy.
If your busy life turns into one filled with stress and anxiety, it can then lead to maladies such as headaches, obesity due to “emotional eating”, gastrointestinal related issues and the list can go on. This is a major reason why people need to discover, what works best to clear the clutter from their mind and helps them to enjoy the true “art of relaxation”.
What Is Relaxation?
The dictionary definition of relaxation is:
- The state of being free from tension and anxiety.
- Physics: the restoration of equilibrium following disturbance.
Life is full of tension and anxiety. Disturbance is typical in most people’s lives. Dealing with responsibilities of job, kids, financial difficulties, stress, anxiety, grief and loss, and a plethora of other issues disturbs the inner peace of mind; necessary to thrive and deal with such situations.
Some people are so busy, that they don’t even realize they’re stressed. Even if you can’t sense it, others around you are bound to notice. Some obvious symptoms reflecting your stress levels are:
- Snapping at anyone who asks you a question.
- Experiencing bouts of road rage.
- Swallowing anti-anxiety medication every time your head feels like it’s about to explode.
How To Relax?
Everyone has their own way to relax. The different ways people find to relax and unwind themselves are:
- Lying back in a steamy tub filled with bubbles and sipping a glass of wine.
- Taking a stroll in the park.
- Doing a vigorous workout at the gym.
- Sitting down with a good book.
- Watching a ball game with friends at the local sports bar.
- Nature brings a feeling of peace and relaxation for people too.
Anyone can spend time out at a bar with friends or take a hot bath to squeeze in a little “me” time, but really use your imagination to put some effort in turning that “me” time into a creative expression like:
- An art form is any activity “regarded as a medium of imaginative or creative self-expression”, so equate that definition into relaxation time.
- Even if you’re not an artist, sit down with a pen and paper and draw.
- Even if you’re not a writer, putting your thoughts onto paper will help to clear the mind, redirecting stress.
- Romance and getaways can also help to restore imbalance that is caused by stress in life.
Meditation For Relaxation
One of the ways that millions find time to relax anywhere and anytime is through meditation. Meditation can aid you in the following ways:
- It allows you to use your mind as an escape from all the stressors of life.
- It is a practice used by many large corporations to improve the productivity and well-being of executives who have high stress jobs.
- It has been proven to work in numerous settings and might be the perfect method to relax and regain balance as it only requires a short time and can be done anywhere where it is quiet.
- Through breathing and mindfulness one can achieve the ultimate solace and bring balance and peace back to the inner self.
You Are Worth It!
Life can be tough, but that is when you have to look in the mirror and tell yourself “I need to do something just for me besides a soak in the tub”. Re-evaluate your priorities and set your health on priority number one in the list. Without your health you can’t work or play, so never underestimate the art of relaxation.
It can literally add years to your busy life. There are so many great ideas; so there is bound to be something that you can plan to do regularly that’s creative, rejuvenating, and above all relaxing which can help you to optimize the “art” of “relaxation” in your life.