Some call it a “vibe,” others think of it as “chi.” Some call it a “feeling” while others call it “aura.” Whatever be the name we choose to give it, we’ve all experienced energy. And, while the concept of healing through colors and energy might seem like the stuff of cartoons and fictional books, there are ways to rid yourself of negative energy. However, in order to do this, we must first understand what energy is.
What Is Energy?
In spirituality, energy is understood as something that is all around us and inside us. It is neither created nor destroyed and it flows from one being to another. An example of this is how a plant uses the sun’s energy to grow and how humans consume the plant, in turn, for energy. Thus, energy features in our thoughts, our actions, what we eat, and what we do.1
In our bodies, energy flows through 7 main centers known as chakras. Each chakra is located in a specific part of our body namely the crown, the third eye, the throat, the heart, the solar plexus, the sacral, and the base. Each chakra is believed to have its own frequency or vibrations.2
Frequency is understood as the intensity of the spiritual energy in our bodies. It can be low, high, or in between. This depends on your thoughts and emotions. If you harbor negative feelings, you will be on the lower end of the spectrum. Inversely, if you harbor positive energy, you will be on the higher end of the spectrum. Each living being is believed to have their own frequency, which can change with time.
When you are on the lower end of the spectrum and have a lot of negative energy in and around you, your chakras go out of balance. This is why it is advised that you cleanse yourself of negative energy. Doing so can bring balance to your chakras and help you lead a happier lifestyle.3
Do You Need Cleansing?
Whether you need to clear your body of negative energy or not is determined by certain situations and feelings, such as these:
- Situational causes: This refers to life experiences like an accident, serious illness, childhood injury, addiction, trauma, abuse, and history of near-death experiences.
- Personal causes: This refers to behavioral causes like a creative block, mood swings, stress, exhaustion, fear, depression, grief, low libido, and road rage.
Some believe that sleep disturbances, difficulty in disengaging from a relationship, lack of discipline, and psychiatric illness are also signs of negative energy that need cleansing. However, the most accurate way to recognize and heal the signs of negative energy is to understand which emotion corresponds with which chakra.4
Signs Of Imbalance In Chakras
Negative energy causes an imbalance in the chakras. It’s important to recognize which part of your chakra is blocked or overactive before you begin with color therapy.5 You can tell if a chakra is deficient of certain energy frequencies or is too full of them by taking note of a few signs.
- The crown: This chakra is associated with creativity and sacrifice. Signs of it being underactive include depression, lack of motivation, and low self-worth. Signs of it being overactive include feeling disconnected from the real life and feeling superior to others.
- The third eye: This chakra is associated with intuition and fear. Under-activeness causes the inability to trust intuition. Over-activeness causes one space out too often.
- The throat: This chakra is associated with health, particularly of your lungs and throat, as well as loyalty. Signs of under- and over-activeness include bad respiratory health, unfaithfulness, and self-righteousness.
- The heart: This chakra is associated with our ability to care. Signs of under- and over-activeness include jealousy and bitterness.
- The solar plexus: This chakra is associated with optimism and practicality. Under- and over-activeness of this chakra cause inferiority, pessimism, and health problems.
- The sacral: This chakra is associated with independence and social standing. Under- and over-activeness of this chakra cause isolation and unhappiness.
- The base: This chakra is associated with strength and courage. Under- and over-activeness of this chakra cause aggressiveness and self-pity.
What Is Color Therapy?
Color therapy uses color to balance the chakras and clear the body of negative energy. Each color has a vibrational quality that resonates with a chakra. This therapy uses specific colors to add what is deficient in that specific chakra or take away what’s in excess. Each color of the rainbow corresponds with each of the 7 chakras:
- The crown: violet
- The third eye: indigo
- The throat: blue
- The heart: green
- The solar plexus: yellow
- The sacral: orange
- The base: red
Additional colors like magenta, turquoise, white, and black are used to balance the other colors.6
How To Heal Using Color Therapy
Gemstones, tuning forks, crystals, lights, and clothes are used in color therapy. Although it is advised that you consult a professional for making the best of what color therapy has to offer, you could try it out yourself under some guidance. Here is how you can go about it.
- Get 7 cloth swatches for each of your 7 chakras.
- Lie down on your back in a peaceful room without any electronic gadgets.
- Close your eyes, relax, and reflect on what your day has been like in the reverse order.
- Make a mental note of all the emotions you went through in the day in the same order. This will help you recognize the chakras that were most affected.
- Once you’ve done this, place the cloth swatches on the chakras you want to focus on, based on the color that corresponds to each of the chakras.
- Leave the cloth swatches on for 5 to 10 minutes.
Alternatively, you could also carry gemstones, use bulbs, wear clothes, hang up a painting, or carry a cloth swatch of the colors you’d like to focus on.7 As with most alternative therapies, it is advised that you try color therapy only as an extension of professional and medical treatment.
|↑1||Gordon, Jon. Energy addict: 101 physical, mental, and spiritual ways to energize your life. Penguin, 2004.|
|↑2||Pond, David. Chakras for beginners: A guide to balancing your chakra energies. Llewellyn Worldwide, 1999.|
|↑3||Alvarez, Melissa. 365 Ways to Raise Your Frequency: Simple Tools to Increase Your Spiritual Energy for Balance, Purpose, and Joy. Llewellyn Worldwide, 2012.|
|↑4||Burney, Diana. Spiritual Clearings: Sacred Practices to Release Negative Energy and Harmonize Your Life. North Atlantic Books, 2010.|
|↑5||Reed, Martha. Holistic Chakra Balancing and the Power of Color Therapy. Wings of Wisdom Publishing. January, 2014.|
|↑6, ↑7||Andrews, Ted. How to heal with Color. Llewellyn Worldwide, 1992.|