This article talks about the various home remedies for ear infections which help in treating them quickly in a natural way.
Parts of the Ear
All three parts have their own function. The outer ear resembles a leaf and its job is to capture the travelling sound waves. Sound waves from the outside enter the ear canal through the pinna and then reach the eardrum, located in the middle ear. This is where other essential parts are located and those are: hammer, anvil, stir up, semicircular, and middle canal. Then comes the last destination of the sound wave, which is the inner ear. That’s the place where cochlea, Eustachian tube and nerves are located. Once the sound wave reaches the nerves, the brain begins to process it and enables us to recognize and understand that particular sound.
Although every part of the ear is susceptible to infections, the inner ear is where the most serious infections occur. Nevertheless, certain complications such as damaged or ruptured eardrum can be prevented with proper treatment. You should never neglect an ear infection as it can lead to further damage, become chronic, or even lead to loss of hearing.
Fortunately, there are many natural cures for ear infections and earaches that you can prepare in the comfort of your home.
Top 10 Cures For Ear Infections And Earaches
Ear infections are commonly caused by viruses and bacteria present in the middle ear. The most common symptoms include earache, poor response to sounds, tugging in the ear, vomiting, diarrhea, fluid drainage from the ear, sleeping issues, headache and high fever. Children are more prone to ear infections than adults.
Ear infections can occur as a result of upper respiratory infections, nutritional deficiencies, wax buildup, food allergies, fetal alcohol syndrome, internal injuries, genetics and environmental allergies. Here is a list of home remedies for ear infections.
Warm Water Bottle
- Pour warm water in a plastic bottle and place it against the affected ear. You can also use a warm cloth or a warm compress.
- Simply iron a clean cloth or soak a clean cloth in warm water, squeeze excess water and place onto the affected ear.
- Repeat this several times till the pain subsides.
The heat will reduce the pain very quickly and it will also prevent further growth of microorganisms.
Salt is one of the most readily available home remedies for ear infections and earaches.
- Heat a small amount of salt in a pan and place it in a clean cotton cloth or a sock. Secure it well and when it is bearably warm, place it against the affected ear.
- Repeat this treatment until you feel better. The heat will extract the liquid from the ear and it will reduce the swelling and the pain.
- Rice can serve as a substitute for salt.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil possesses mild antibacterial properties due to which it can be highly effective in the treatment of ear infections and earaches.
- Combine 3 drops of tea tree oil with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of colloidal silver and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Heat the resulting mixture a little bit and when bearably warm, pour it into the affected ear using a dropper. Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes and then turn on your other side so that the mixture can leak out.
- Perform this treatment 2-3 times per day for two days.
Due to its powerful healing properties, garlic is used for many health conditions as well as for ear infections.
- Prepare garlic oil by cooking 2 garlic cloves in some mustard or sesame oil. Cook it until it turns brown. Let it cool down a bit so that it is bearably warm and then drip 4 drops into the painful ear.
- There is also another way to use garlic which involves boiling 2-3 fresh garlic cloves for about 5 minutes. Afterwards, crush the garlic cloves and add some salt. Place the resulting mix in a clean cotton cloth and apply to the affected ear.
In order to speed up the healing process, eat 2-3 garlic cloves per day.
Mango Leaf Juice
Mango leaf extract is a powerful cure for ear infections.
- Crush or ground 2-3 mango leaves in order to obtain their juice and then heat it slightly.
- Drip 3-4 drops of the mango leaf juice into the affected ear by using a dropper. Within just a few minutes your pain will completely disappear.
- Do this 2 to 3 times per day to entirely heal your ear infection.
This herb is able to heal minor ear infections and earaches. It soothes pain and reduces infection.
- Make a juice by crushing 4-5 fresh holy basil leaves. Soak a cotton ball and apply this juice on and around the affected ear, making sure that none of it enters the ear canal.
- Also, you can mix a few drops of holy basil oil with the same amount of carrier or coconut oil, soak a cotton ball in the mix and wipe inside the ear, around the outer edge and behind the ear.
Repeat this twice a day.
Breast milk is highly effective in the treatment of ear infections in infants due to the natural antibodies contained in it. It helps reduce swellings and pain and is able to cure ear infection within 2 or 3 days. Using a dropper, drip several drops of breast milk into the infected ear. Repeat this treatment every few hours.
Use olive oil to clean blocked Eustachian tubes from wax.
- Slightly heat some olive oil and drop a few drops into the affected ear.
- Once the ear wax becomes soft, remove it gently from the ear.
- You can also use mustard oil instead of olive.
Onion serves as a great remedy against ear infections.
- Take an onion head and chop it finely. Put it in a microwave and heat for 1-2 minutes. Let it cool down and then extract the onion juice. Drop 2-3 drops of the onion juice into the affected ear, let it sit for a while and then turn your head on the opposite side so that it drains out of your ear.
- You can also bake an onion for about 30 minutes and then cut it in half. Place one half in a thick cotton cloth and put the cloth against your ear. Hold it for about 5 minutes and then make a pause of 10 minutes before you repeat the treatment.
Apple Cider Vinegar
- Apple cider vinegar can treat ear infections that are caused by fungus.
- Combine apple cider vinegar with an equal amount of water or rubbing alcohol. Take a cotton ball, soak it into the resulting mixture and put it in the affected ear. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then remove it. Afterwards, make sure that the whole mixture has come out from your ear.
- Use hair dryer to dry your ear completely.
The above ten natural cures can help you treat minor ear infections. However, if you don’t notice any improvement within a few days, it is essential to consult with your healthcare provider.
Say Goodbye to Ear Infection!