Lemon is the most versatile and wonderful fruit which we had. The juice of the lemon is about 5 to 6% of citric acid, which gives it a sour taste. It has several health benefits and used in different cooking and baking recipes. Apart from adding a sour flavor to various dishes, preparing a lemon water drink is the best thing that we can do by using this wonderful fruits. Lemon water is a great refreshing drink, which helps us to stay calm and cool. It is one of the most popular magic potions in the fitness community. The basic idea behind that “when we wake up in the morning and drink lemon water helps in alkalized our body and promotes healthy digestion.” Thus, it improves overall health too.
According to a Scientific study1 ,“ adding lemon water not only quenches thirst better than any other beverages but it also nourishes our body with vitamins, minerals and trace elements which we absolutely need. It acts as a natural energy booster and helps eliminate toxins, regulate proper kidney and digestive functions by forcing them to work as smoothly as possible”. How to make lemon water? And what are the great benefits of lemon water? And what the precautions you should take while consuming it? Read on to know it.
What Is Lemon Water And How To Make It?
The combination of Warm water and lemon is a natural energizer. It hydrates and oxygenates the body. It will make you refreshed and revitalized. Here is a simple method to make lemon water at home.
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (preferably use organic lemon)
- 1 glass Luke warm (or at room temperature) water
- Ginger slice (optional)
- Cut a lemon in half and squeezes the juice of lemon directly into a glass of Luke warm water.
- You may add 1 teaspoon honey if you had the intolerance to sour taste (but make sure your sugar level is normal).
- You can also add a slice of ginger for better taste.
- Your fresh lemon water drink is ready.
Benefits of Lemon Water
1. Helps You Stay Hydrated
The first and most important thing, when we sleep we have not been drinking water for at least 8 hours. Giving the body adequate water when we get up is a good way to hydrate our body. So lemon water helps us to stay hydrated and also helps in limit the number of caffeinated drinks. It also boosts mood and energy level without any side effects that most of the caffeinated drinks have.
2. Helps With Proper Digestion
Lemon water encourages healthy digestion by loosening toxins from your digestive tract. Thus helps in relieving constipation and other digestive issues. It is a best natural cleanser and cleanses our system by flushing the toxins from our body, in easiest and acceptable way. Not only digestion, it improves our liver function and overall metabolism as well.
3. Helps With Weight Loss
Of course, consuming lemon water will not work like a miracle in your weight loss journey, but it is a healthy habit, that will help in maintaining an ideal body weight. As lemon contains pectin fiber, it helps in fighting hunger and thus helps in weight loss. Studies suggested increased water intake raises the metabolic rate up to 30% in both men and women. And this effect starts within 10 minutes of water consumption and reaches a maximum level after 30-40 minutes.
4. Helps Boost The Immune System
It is a well-known fact that lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant. The juice of half a lemon gives you 20 percent of your daily vitamin c requirement and only contains 8 calories. It boosts our immune system and has a great role in the prevention of common infections (such as a cough and cold).
5. Helps Prevent Oxidation
According to Cleveland clinic2 , lemon contains phytonutrients. These phytonutrients have powerful anti-oxidant properties which prevent us from oxidizing or essentially rusting from inside out.
Good for bone health. Lemon is also a good source of calcium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium and other minerals. Thus, help in the maintenance of bone health. Potassium is good for nerves and brain cells.
6. Helps Lower Hypertension
Although there is no scientific evidence but it is believed that lemon helps in removing rigidity from the blood vessel and maintains the blood flow, thus it helps in reducing blood pressure and cholesterol level. It is also good for the nervous system too, relieves tension and anxiety.
7. Helps Fight Skin Damage
The antioxidant properties of lemon water work great for skin. There is 30-40 mg of vitamin c in per lemon. And vitamin c helps in collagen production. And thus helps in fighting with skin damage. It also helps in detoxification of blood and keeps skin glowing and refreshed. It also has anti-inflammatory properties, thus helps in various healing too.
8. Acts As A Unique Source Of Nutrition
Apart from vitamin C lemon is also a rich source of B- complex, niacin, flavonoids, iron, vitamin A and vitamin B-6. Consuming lemon water in the morning gives a chance to our body to absorb all nutritional elements effectively and provides an immunity boost to our body.
9. Acts As A Natural Mouth Cleanser
Lemon has great acidic and antibacterial properties. Thus it helps in freshen breath and cleanse our mouth. It is a best natural cleanser. And play a great role in relieving toothache and gingivitis.
Negative Effects Of Lemon Water
It may cause heartburn in the certain individual. Especially in those who had a previous history of hyperacidity and heartburn. It may affect dental enamel if proper precaution in not taken.
Tips Or Warnings Before You Consume It
Here is a list of caution that needs to be followed while consuming it.
- Drink lemon water in the morning; wait for 30 minutes before taking any caffeinated drink or breakfast. Early morning consumption is best to get the maximum benefit.
- Does not use bottled lemon juice3. It may contain certain preservative (like sulphate)? It may cause the allergic reaction in susceptible individuals and had less nutritional value.
- Use a drinking straw to consume it. It may affect your teeth’s enamel. After drinking rinse with some plain filtered water to make sure that acid from the lemon does not destroy the enamel of teeth.
- Never drink ice cold lemon water. It may cause cold and respiratory affections in the certain individual. Always use Luke warm or at room temperature water to make the lemon water
Did you have experienced great benefits of lemon water? Do share with us below in the comment box.