Sleep is absolutely essential for a person’s health. Lack of sleep can have a huge negative impact on the well-being of a person. It can cause untimely drowsiness and affect work patterns. It can leave us tired and incapable of focusing on the task at hand. This condition is also called hypersomnia or hypersomnolence.
Drowsiness usually is the result of lack of sleep or disturbed sleep. Excessive drowsiness during the daytime may indicate a sleep disorder. Other aspects that cause drowsiness at inappropriate times are depression, anxiety, stress, and boredom. Alcohol abuse, prescription drugs, and other medical conditions are also occasionally the cause.
Common symptoms of drowsiness include excess sleepiness during the day, lethargy, irritability, forgetfulness and less energy.
Thankfully, simple techniques and minor lifestyle changes can help us overcome drowsiness and reverse the effect.
1. Rise And Shine Early
Waking up with the birds is a healthy habit. And by “shine”, we mean that you must expose yourself to
2. Drink Green Tea
Green tea is rich in antioxidants and has other properties that can boost your energy and stamina that last for hours and prevent drowsiness. It improves mental focus and helps beat stress and fatigue. Moreover, the polyphenols in green tea promote better
- Add 1 teaspoon of green tea leaves to a cup of hot water.
- Cover and steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain, sweeten with honey and drink it.
3. Exercise Regularly
Even if not every single day, exercise for 30 minutes at least 4-5 days a week. Regular exercise improves alertness and energy, thus preventing daytime drowsiness. It also improves the quality of your sleep at night. Consider exercising outdoors as you can kill three birds with one stone – you can avail the benefits of the early morning sun, inhale fresh air to keep your brain active, and exercise to stay fit and avoid daytime drowsiness. Reinforce your fitness regime with meditation and yoga, if you can.
- Walk briskly for 30 minutes; avoid a treadmill and walk outdoors, if possible.
- Perform stretching exercises to boost your energy.
- Meditation is a powerful method to calm
- Practicing breathing exercises can improve blood circulation and prevent daytime drowsiness and stress.
- Practice yoga, an ancient technique that improves the overall quality of life.
- Don’t push yourself into exercising to a point of overexertion. Know your limits.
4. Wash Your Face With Cold Water
Splashing cold water on your face can immediately make you alert and drive away the drowsiness. The sudden change in temperature makes you wide awake and can boost your energy, which helps you concentrate better in whatever you’re doing. To accentuate alertness, after washing your face with cold water, stand facing the cold draft of air from an air conditioner. Even a cold shower in the morning can prevent daytime drowsiness and improve your blood circulation.
5. Consume Healthy Foods
Eating healthy is crucial
Whole-grain bread, fiber-rich fruits, cereals, oatmeal, nuts, milk, yogurt, eggs, cottage cheese, and smoothies must be a part of your breakfast. Keep your lunch light. Overeating also causes drowsiness. Make sure that you avoid oily foods as they tend to make you sleepy. Also, finish your dinner at least two hours before going to bed. Keep your body hydrated by consuming foods that naturally contain water, such as yogurt, broccoli, carrots, cucumbers, watermelon, oranges, and grapefruits.
6. Avoid Foods That Cause Drowsiness
- Avoid pastries, pasta, potatoes, and white rice during the day as they can cause drowsiness.
- Avoid caffeinated
- Avoid alcohol during the day.
- Avoid foods such as processed and smoked meat, foods with added sugars, and junk foods.
7. Go For Omega-3s
Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids are good for promoting sleep. A good night’s sleep will prevent daytime drowsiness. Foods such as salmon, trout, sardines, mackerel, tuna, walnuts, flaxseeds, peanut butter, eggs, soybeans and soy products are rich in omega-3s. A study by the University of Oxford found a link between higher levels of omega-3 DHA and better sleep.2 Higher blood levels of the long-chain omega-3 DHA (the main omega-3 fatty acid found in the brain), is closely associated with better sleep, less bedtime resistance,
8. Drink Lemon Water
Another effective method to fight daytime drowsiness is to drink lemon water in the morning, which keeps the body hydrated and flushes out toxins. Dehydration reduces the oxygen supply to the brain, causing fatigue and drowsiness. After you wake up, drink a glass of lemon water on an empty stomach. Whenever you feel drowsy, reach for a refreshing glass of lemon water. It is easy to prepare it. Squeeze the juice from half a lemon into a glass of purified, lukewarm water. You may add a few drops of honey to improve flavor and benefits.
9. Use Aromatherapy
Inhaling the scents of certain herbs, spices and flowers can infuse a sense of alertness and keep the yawns away. Aromatherapy also has a positive effect in calming the nerves and keeps the mind alert. Essential oils of many plants and herbs such as peppermint, rosemary, and basil are excellent for aromatherapy. The simplest method to do this is to place a few drops of essential oil on a handkerchief or napkin and inhale it whenever you feel drowsy.
10. Maintain A Regular Sleep Schedule
The two main reasons for daytime drowsiness are disturbed sleep and lack of sleep. So, maintaining a regular sleeping schedule is important to prevent daytime drowsiness. Symptoms such as fatigue, stress, loss of energy, and even depression can be prevented by ensuring that you allocate 7-8 hours of sound sleep every night.
- Maintain a sleep schedule; go to bed and wake up at the same time every day so that your body’s internal clock gets accustomed to this habit.
- Ensure that your bedroom is completely dark and block out any exterior light.
- A good quality mattress and pillows help improve sleep quality.
- Reading a book or doing relaxing yoga stretches before going to bed promotes quality sleep.
- Limit your screen time staring at computers, TVs or phones before bedtime.
Simple Tips To Prevent Drowsiness
- Whenever you feel drowsy, get up and walk around for 5 minutes.
- Chewing sugar-free gum can also help fight off sleepiness during the day.
- Take short breaks at work to refresh your mind.
- Keep your workplace neat and uncluttered. This will motivate you to be active.
- Acupressure is a proven method to reduce lethargy and drowsiness.
- Certain prescription drugs can also cause drowsiness. But, do not discontinue any medication without consulting your doctor.
|↑1||Ganguly, Gautam. “Vitamin D Deficiency, Excessive Daytime Sleepiness: An Epiphenomenon or a “Chicken or an Egg—Which Came First” Issue?.” Journal of clinical sleep medicine: JCSM: official publication of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine 9, no. 5 (2013): 517.|
|↑2||Higher levels of omega-3 in diet associated with better sleep. University of Oxford. 2014.|
|↑3||Richardson, Alex. “Omega‐3 and sleep: New insights from the DHA Oxford Learning and Behaviour (DOLAB) study.” Lipid Technology 27, no. 5 (2015): 103-106.|