The stats show that over 50% of men over 50 have an enlarged prostate or prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), if you got to the over 85 year old category -round images the probability is that you are one of 95% of men who have an enlarged prostate.
Should you take a PSA to determine if you have an enlarged prostate…even the FDA has given the PSA a “D” rating – over 80% false negatives and false positives AND the majority of prescriptions given for an enlarged prostate cause prostate cancer!!!
So we better find another way…BUT we don’t have to re-invent the wheel – there are already all kinds of things you can do both to prevent and to reverse AND they only have positive side effects AND they are cheap!!!
- Sesame seeds are rich in zinc – an important prostate mineral (research shows that men with prostate cancer have up to 75% depletion in their zinc).
- Pumpkin seeds, almonds and oysters also have high levels of zinc – AND zinc is more easily absorbed when it is in a food as opposed to a supplement!!
- Sunflower seeds are known to ward of prostate cancer.
- Two brazil nuts a day will give you the selenium you need or eating fish 3x a week…either way – make your diet work for you and not against you.
- Salmon, avocados, ground flax seed, hemp seed and salba/chia seeds are all great for their fatty acids which not only keep your inflammation levels down but help your memory, cardio system, arthritic conditions and prevent cancer!!
- Bell peppers, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, kale, bok choy are all high in Vitamin C – which also lowers your risk for prostate cancer and strengthens your immune system and fights free radicals.
- Cooked tomatoes (raw tomatoes taste and smell delicious – but we are able to get more nutrient from cooked tomatoes) have lycopene that also lowers a protein that is connected to prostate enlargement.
- You can also get lycopene from grapefruits (in the fiber – so cut up the whole grapefruit into pieces, put in blender, cover with water – and Whola! your juice for the day – I also add a whole lemon and a whole apple) watermelon, apricots and papaya.
- Avocados, mentioned above for the great fats, also have beta-sitosterol which helps to regulate urine flow leaving less residual urine; reducing inflammation; and reducing pain….yeah!!! Pumpkin seeds also have beta-sitosterol.
- Sardines, herring, cod liver oil and egg yolks have good doses of Vitamin D which has also been connected with healthy prostates and protects from prostate cancer – don’t forget to get that good healthy sunshine – go for shorter periods and don’t use the sunscreens – they are full of carcinogenic compounds!!
- Almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds also have Vitamin D!!
- And of course, as everyone knows, eat those leafy green vegetables.
Here’s to your health…choose to eat well…choose to do your research…choose to enjoy life.