More than calling yoga as a practice, it is better to term it as a way of life. An ancient practice that originated thousands of years ago in India, it has gained worldwide recognition today for its numerous mental and physical health benefits. Yoga improves flexibility, helps burn fat and strengthens the muscles. Yoga has a positive impact on the mind and can help overcome many mental health disorders.
By practicing specific yoga poses, you can burn excess fat for those particular areas of your body. After the midsection, the hips and the thighs are the areas where fat accumulates very quickly.
Yoga Poses To Shape Your Hips And Thighs
Here are seven poses that can help you shape up your hips and your thighs.
1. Lord Of The Dance Pose (Natarajasana)
The lord of the dance pose stimulates and stretches the hip flexors. The inner thigh muscles, as well as the outer thigh muscles, are worked upon. This pose strengthens the legs as the body balances on one leg. Right from your pelvis to your feet, every muscle in your leg is toned and stretched. Your hips are opened releasing any blocked energy in the legs and the blood circulation in your legs improves.
- Stand in tadasana (mountain pose).
- Lift your right foot and swing it behind so that your right leg is parallel to the ground.
- Bend your knee, reach your right arm to the right foot and stretch.
- Now, stretch your left arm forward and create a gyan mudra with your outstretched palm.
- Look towards your left fingers and hold the pose for a few seconds as you take long, deep breaths.
- Release and repeat on the other side.
2. Ustrasana (Camel Pose)
This asana is effective in opening your pectoral muscles and hip flexors. It also tones the limbs and the thighs. Since this pose works on the front part of your body, the muscles in the frontal thighs are stimulated.
- Sit in vajrasana (diamond pose).
- Lift your hips and raise your body so that the hip muscles and calf muscles are perpendicular to each other.
- Open up your chest and lean back.
- Reach your feet with your arms, making sure your arms are stretched out.
- Gently hang your head back.
- Hold the pose as you take long, deep breaths and release.
3. Janu Sirsasana (Head To Knee Pose)
Janu sirsasana helps to increase the flexibility in the thighs and hip joints. It stretches the muscles and improves blood circulation.
- Begin from dandasana (staff pose).
- Fold your left knee so that the left foot is placed on the right thigh.
- Stretch your arms up, fold your torso, and reach your foot with your arms (ensure that head touches your knee in this asana, and keep your back straight.).
- Breathe in deeply, hold and then release.
- Repeat with the other leg.
4. Malasana (Garland Pose)
Malasana is another pose that is effective for the legs, hips, and thighs. It improves blood circulation and provides a good stretch in your hips and thighs. It gives your leg muscles strength and flexibility.
- Squat on the floor, making sure your feet are together, and your buttocks are off the floor.
- Lift your body on the balls of the feet.
- Join your palms at the center, and rest your elbows gently on the sides of the knees.
- Push your knees with your elbows as wide as possible.
- Hold the pose for at least three breaths and then release.
5. Navasana (Boat Pose)
Practicing this pose regularly has a positive effect on the organs, nerves, bones, and muscles. It helps improve blood circulation and gives your legs a good stretch.
- Begin from the dandasana (staff pose).
- Lift your legs off the ground.
- Maintain your balance, lift your hands off the floor, and stretch them out in front of you.
- Work towards creating a ‘V’ shape with your upper and lower body.
- Take long and deep breaths and release.
6. Setu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose)
The bridge pose enhances blood circulation. It helps stretch the hip and thigh muscles and stimulates the energy within.
- Lie down flat on your back, and bend your legs at the knees.
- Gently lift your hips and back off the floor.
- Straighten your shoulders and stretch your arms out so that they reach your feet.
- Take long and deep breaths, hold the pose for a few seconds and release.
7. Salabhasana (Locust Pose Or Grasshopper Pose)
This pose is effective in reducing the fat around the hips and thighs. It also strengthens your legs and enhances the flow of blood.
- Lie down on your abdomen, and lift your legs off the mat, right from the hips.
- Stretch your arms behind you and lift your chest off the floor.
- Lift your chin up and set your gaze forward.
- Hold the pose and breathe a few times before you release.