Stress is one of the major factors that can worsen an autoimmune disorder like psoriatic arthritis. Several studies claim that individuals who followed exercise routines that involved relaxation and strengthening of the body coped better with pain. The controlled breathing, mindfulness along with the rejuvenating asanas can work wonders for you. All you have to do is spend just 15 to 20 minutes practicing it every day.
Yoga Poses To Manage Psoriatic Arthritis
Try these highly recommended poses, modified specifically for people with psoriatic arthritis.1
1. Warrior Pose
This pose restores mobility in your knees, widens the hips, shoulders, and thighs while strengthening them. Your body will be required to assume the stance of a warrior in this asana.
- Stand with your legs, feet, and arms stretched wide apart
- Exhale as you slowly bend your right knee at 90 degrees
- Keep the left leg outstretched and look to the right
- Hold the pose with the determination of a warrior
- Inhale as you straighten the right knee
- Repeat by bending the left knee and keep alternating the yoga pose for about 6 times
2. Modified Downward-Facing Dog Pose
Downward facing dog pose can be quite challenging for beginners and people with skeletal issues. It’s advised to use a sturdy chair for support while doing this asana. The chair shouldn’t be taller than your knee level. This pose increases mobility in the major joints that are affected by psoriatic arthritis.
- Place both your hands shoulder-width apart on the chair seat while facing it
- Now take 3 steps back from the chair while keeping your knees straight
- You will assume a position where you are arching your back towards the sky
- Your legs and arms should be firmly planted on the ground and chair respectively
- You would have assumed the pose of a downward facing dog except with a chair
- Inhale when you straighten up and exhale as you repeat the asana
3. Reclining Twist
This is a great pose to totally stretch your lower back, hips and abdominal muscles. It’s a well-supported asana as you can lie down on the ground to do it.
- Lie in the corpse pose and slowly bend your knees with your feet on the ground
- Turn your knees to left and let it rest for as you inhale
- Feel the muscles in your body stretch
- Then bring it back to the center and exhale
- Inhale and repeat on the opposite side
4. Chair Spinal Twist
Stretching is a great way to relieve the tension in the muscle fibers and joints. It even improves flexibility and mobility.
- Be seated on your chair with your arms facing the chair instead of your back
- Inhale and twist your torso towards the left slowly while holding onto the top of the chair
- Now, exhale and do it on the right side
- Repeat 5 times
5. Yoga For The Ankles And Wrists
The ankles and wrists need some special love and care as they are very prone to get affected by psoriatic arthritis. Simple rotating and stretching exercises can make a huge difference for you.
- Sit on a chair comfortably with your feet on the floor
- Bend your elbows and keep them on your thighs or the armrest of the chair
- Start rotating your wrists as if you are making circles without moving the rest of the arm
- Now stretch your legs far out and rotate your ankles similarly
- Inhale and exhale throughout the process
Do these asanas regularly and you will experience a world of change in your body and its vitality. it’s also important to follow a diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants along with lots of fluids to boost the healing potential of your body.