While holidays might be the best time of the year for you, your body would beg to differ. No cookie for guessing why. Come holidays, there’s a gigantic shift in your lifestyle and diet. When ice creams, cakes, meat, and sweet-treats are all that your body is fed with, there’s bound to be trouble. What trouble, you ask? Holiday weight, of course!
But don’t worry, for these simple yet effective exercises will help you lose those extra pounds. Do these exercises for about 20–30 minutes every day to quickly burn calories and lose weight. Also, you don’t need to hit the gym for these workouts, so you can do them anywhere and at any time!
A set of effective fat-burning exercises, burpees raise your heart rate, increase your metabolism, and help you lose weight in the process.
- Stand with your feet apart.
- Jump up and raise your hands above your head into a clap.
- Slowly squat, and kick your legs into a push-up position.
- Remain in this position for 2 seconds.
- Return to your feet and stand up.
2. Walk-Out Push Ups
A more advanced form of push-ups, this exercise challenges your core, shoulder, and chest muscles. It not only helps you lose weight, but also helps tone your arms.
- Bend your body downwards at the hip, so that your hands reach the floor.
- Slowly walk your hands away from your body, till you assume a push-up position.
- Perform a push-up.
- Walk your hands back towards the body, and slowly return to your feet.
Lunges target some of our most problematic areas when it comes to weight loss: thighs, hips, and buttocks. They work the lower-body muscles and keep you in great shape.
- Stand tall with a straight back.
- Lower your hips until both your knees are at a 90-degree angle to your thighs.
- Ensure that bent leg does not touch the floor.
- Slowly, return to your feet.
- Perform the exercise for about 3–4 minutes.
One of the most effective forms of cardio, sprinting can get your blood circulation going, while improving your metabolism. Sprinting, in fact, increases fat oxidation and helps your body burn fat even hours after the workout!1
- Run as fast as you can for 60 seconds
- Take a 2-minute break, and repeat the process.
- Sprint for a total of 15 minutes.
Toe-taps help avoid the accumulation of fat cells on your buttocks and thighs. They also work toward tightening your butt and working your glutes.
- With your arms on your sides, lie on the floor.
- Lift both your feet and bend them at your knee.
- Your thighs should now be perpendicular to the floor.
- Now bring down your left foot toward the floor.
- Tap your toes to the floor.
- Next, tap the floor with toes of your right foot.
- Alternate between legs for one minute.
Another good exercise to improve your cardio activity, step-ups also work your hamstrings and tighten your glutes.
- Stand in front of a step or a bench that is at an elevated position.
- Holding a pair of dumbbells, place your left foot firmly on the bench.
- Push your body up till you are standing with one foot on the bench.
- Make sure that your right foot is elevated and off the bench.
- Now, lower your right foot till it reaches the floor and then climb down.
- Alternate between legs for two minutes.
7. Mountain Climber
This exercise builds abdominal strength, increases your cardio activity, and enhances your metabolism to help you burn fat at a faster pace.
- Assume a high-plank position, with your hands directly under your shoulders.
- Keep your back straight
- Slowly bring your leg to your chest
- Repeat with the other leg
- Move your legs back and forth in a rapid manner, so that you run on the spot.
In addition to these set of exercises, you can also opt for swimming or skip rope. Also, before beginning the workout, throw in a few stretches and warm-up exercises to prevent injury.