Did you know that Collagen makes up the bulk of connective tissue and is about 25-35% of whole-body protein content? The name collagen comes from the Greek kolla meaning glue and suffix -gen denoting producing.
These are the three layers that make up your skin:
- Epidermis: the external covering; what we see and refer to as “skin”.
- Collagen: the fibrous protein that glues and stabilizes the contact between the dermis and the epidermis.
- Dermis: where the nerve endings, blood vessels and sweat glands are located.
Collagen determines if your skin is firm, supple and silky at birth. Sadly, Collagen reaches its peak when we reach the age of 35, considered the time when actual aging starts. Reduction or damage of Collagen leads to premature sagging and wrinkles causing your skin to look older than what it ought to be.
Prime causes of Collagen damage have been attributed to:
- Over-exposure to sun and UV rays.
- Exposure to chemicals like Chlorine and other Herbicides.
- Inhaling Polluted air, Smoking.
- Emotional Stress.
- Consumption of refined carbohydrates and other sugary foods.
Strengthening Your Collagen:
Now that we know the importance of Collagen and the need to preserve and protect it, let’s look at ways to strengthen and nourish this vital constituent:
- Stick to a healthy diet, even before you reach the 35-year threshold.
- An antioxidant rich diet of Lutein (found in dark green leafy vegetables), Lycopene (found in red fruits and vegetables) and Omega-3 fatty acids (found in cold water fish).
- Hyaluronic acid aids in moisture retention and renders elasticity.
- Vitamin-C accelerates the formation of Collagen. Eat plenty of citrus fruits, strawberries and broccoli to restrict the damage from UV ray exposure.
- Vitamins A, D, E and the B-complex vitamins and minerals like zinc, selenium and silica are vital to the health of your collagen.
Don’t get fooled by cosmetics that profess magical Collagen-strengthening creams and lotions. There is no documented medical proof circumventing this claim.
Replenish your skin and bask in the aura of a beautiful YOU by leading a healthy and holistic lifestyle.