It is a constant battle to take care of oily skin. Oil in the skin is produced by the sebaceous glands present in the skin. These glands help the skin in staying moisturized, but an excess amount of oil in the skin is triggered by hormonal changes, pollution, and improper hygiene.
Extremely oily skin makes the skin look too shiny and clogs the pores in the skin resulting in acne and pimples. Natural remedies and a healthy, nutritional diet can help in improving your skin health. One of the best ways to maintain oil balance in the skin is with the use of tomatoes. Tomatoes act like an astringent, maintains the natural pH balance, and works as a natural exfoliant that helps in removing excess oil, toxins, dirt, and and dead skin cells from the skin surface.
Ripe tomatoes can be used alone or with other natural ingredients as a natural remedy to get rid of oily skin. Rubbing a tomato slice on the face for a few minutes can also naturally remove excess oil from the skin. However, using a ripe tomato mask can prove to be a more effective way to balance the oil in the skin.
1. Chop a ripe tomato and put it in the blender to make a puree.
2. Wash your face with a mild cleanser and pat dry.
3. Apply the tomato puree all over the face and the neck.
4. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then, wash it off with water.
5. Repeat the process daily until you get permanent relief from oily skin.
Tomato and Lemon Juice
Lemon contains Vitamin C which acts as a natural astringent and helps in shrinking open pores in the skin and control sebum production. Tomato and lemon juice acts as a natural toner for the skin.
1. Extract the juice of a ripe tomato.
2. Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice to it and mix well.
3. Dip a cotton ball to it and apply over your cleansed face.
4. Leave it to dry on its own and then, wash your face with cool water.
5. Repeat the method daily.
Tomato and Cucumber
Cucumber has hydrating and cooling properties that soothe and moisturize the skin. When a face pack made of tomato and cucumber is used, it helps in closing the pores of the skin and reduces oiliness.
1. Make a paste of a ripe tomato.
2. Add 2/3rd of a grated cucumber to the tomato paste and mix well.
3. Apply the tomato-cucumber face pack evenly on a cleansed face.
4. Leave it on for 30 minutes and then, wash it off with cool water.
5. Repeat the process few times a week.
Tomato and Avocado
Lack of proper moisturization and excessively dry skin also triggers the sebaceous glands to produce more sebum. This can be prevented with the use of a tomato and avocado mask made at home. Avocado contains monounsaturated fatty acids that help the skin stay moisturized and prevent the sebaceous glands in the skin from producing excess amount of sebum.
1. Take ½ of a ripe tomato and extract its pulp.
2. Mash 1/4th cup of a ripe avocado and mash it with a fork.
3. Make a paste of both the tomato and avocado and mix well.
4. Apply the mixture on your face and massage well for 5 minutes.
5. Leave it on for the next 15 minutes and later, wash it off with lukewarm water.
6. Repeat this method at least thrice a week.
Tomato and Yogurt
Yogurt contains lactic acid, which works as a natural exfoliant that removes dead skin cells, dirt, and sebum from the skin and also, keeps the skin moisturized.
1. Make tomato puree in a blender and put it in a bowl.
2. Take 2 tablespoons each of the puree and plain, fresh yogurt, and mix them well.
3. Apply the mixture evenly on the face.
4. Leave it on for 30 minutes and later, wash your face with lukewarm water.
5. Repeat the process on every alternate day until your you are relieved of oily skin.
Before using tomato on your skin directly, always do a patch test so that you know if it is safe on your skin or otherwise. Tomato is highly acidic, so avoid direct application of tomato if you have cuts and bruises on your face.