Are you struggling with skin discoloration? You’re not alone… just look at all the skin-brightening products in stores. While everybody is obsessing over cosmetics, an easy answer to skin discoloration might actually be in the produce section! Potatoes, a gentle, cheap, and all-natural remedy, can be used to brighten your skin. While it seems like strange remedy, potatoes have the nutrients that may reverse hyper pigmentation.
From aging to sun exposure, many things can lead to skin discoloration. Hormonal causes, such as pregnancy and birth control, are also possible causes. Even acne scars can leave behind darkened spots.1 Instead of using harsh bleaching creams such as hydroquinone, which can harm your skin, go for this easy home remedy.
Potato Remedy For Skin Discoloration
1. Potato Facial For A Face Lift
This is the simplest way to use potatoes on your skin. Set aside a few slices
- Peel 1 potato.
- Cut 2 or 3 slices measuring ½-inch each.
- Massage each slice onto your skin. Focus on the pigmented areas.
- After 15 minutes, wash your face.
2. Potato Mask For Skin Discoloration
If you prefer a leave-in mask, puree potato in a blender. Use it every day as a regular treatment. If you have leftovers, store them in the refrigerator to maintain freshness.
- Peel and cube 1 potato.
- Blend until smooth. There should be no chunks.
- Spread 1 tablespoon onto your face.
- Wait for 15 minutes and wash off.
3. Potato Sugar Scrub For A Brighter Face
For a brighter complexion, add sugar to the potatoes. It’ll exfoliate dead skin cells filled with melanin. Your skin will also feel softer, smoother,
- Puree potato as instructed above.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of the potato puree with 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Apply it to your face, scrubbing in circular motions.
- Rinse off and pat dry.
4. Potato Lemon Juice Mask To Reverse Skin Damage
Lemon juice is a natural bleaching agent. The vitamin C will reverse photo damage, a major cause of discoloration. Most importantly, this nutrient helps make collagen, the skin’s structural protein.2
- Combine 1 tablespoon pureed potato with 3 to 5 drops lemon juice.
- Stir well.
- Spread onto face, taking extra care around the eyes.
- Wash and pat dry.
5. Potato Baking Soda Scrub To Remove Old Skin
Like lemon juice, baking soda naturally bleaches the skin. Its fine powdery texture also doubles as a scrub. Together, these benefits will slough
- Mix 1 tablespoon pureed potato and 1 teaspoon baking soda.
- Stir to form a paste. Add more baking soda if needed.
- Massage onto your skin for 15 to 20 seconds.
- To avoid irritation, rinse off immediately and pat dry.
6. Potato Strawberry Mask For Stronger Skin
For even more vitamin C, add strawberries. The nutrients will thicken your skin and keep it strong. Plus, the mask will smell amazing!
- Mash 2 to 3 strawberries and ¼ potato.
- Mix until combined.
- Apply onto your face, avoiding the eyes.
7. Potato And Green Tea To Treat Hyperpigmentation
Green tea is more than just a tasty drink. On the skin, it can lighten hyperpigmentation, making it a smart choice of your skin-care routine.3 It’ll also fight acne by reducing oil production, so you won’t have to worry about scars.4
- Run a potato through a juicer.
- Mix 1 tablespoon potato juice with 1 tablespoon green tea.
- Apply on the face as a toner.
- To make a mask, combine 1 tablespoon potato puree and 1 tea bag of green tea leaves.
- Stir well and massage it onto your face.
- After 15 minutes, rinse off and dry.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with potatoes. It’s extremely gentle, making it ideal for all skin types. Adjust the extra ingredients to suit your skin type.
|↑1||Hyperpigmentation. American Osteopathic College of Dermatology.|
|↑2||Vitamin C. Oregon State University.|
|↑3||Leyden, J. J., B. Shergill, G. Micali, J. Downie, and W. Wallo. “Natural options for
|↑4||Saric, Suzana, Manisha Notay, and Raja K. Sivamani. “Green Tea and Other Tea Polyphenols: Effects on Sebum Production and Acne Vulgaris.” Antioxidants 6, no. 1 (2016): 2.|