Move over, minoxidil. Coconut milk is the new hair growth cure in town. It’s totally natural and gentle, so you won’t have to worry about side effects. Minoxidil is a hair-loss drug that’s found in prescription and over-the-counter creams. The results are great, but the consequences are a different story. According to the Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research, minoxidil has been linked to dermatitis, irritation, and eye problems. It can even cause blurry vision!1 But coconut milk won’t do such a thing.
Coconut milk moisturizes your locks and prevents dryness and weakness – a common cause of hair breakage. Plus, it has antifungal and antibacterial properties, so you won’t have to worry about scalp infections that cause hair loss.2
How To Use Coconut Milk For Healthy Hair
1. Coconut Milk Massage
Nothing beats a simple scalp massage. And with coconut milk, it feels even better. This is one of the best remedies you can test for the first time.
- Over low heat, warm 1 can of coconut milk in a can.
- You can also use fresh-squeezed coconut milk if you can find it.
- Cool in the refrigerator overnight.
- Before bathing, massage the coconut milk into your scalp and strands.
- Rinse away with water or during your shower.
- For all treatments, never forget to warm and cool the coconut milk, as mentioned above.
2. Coconut Milk And Peppermint Hair Mask
To soothe an irritated scalp,
- Pour ¼ to ½ cup coconut milk.
- Add 5 drops peppermint oil and stir well.
- Apply to the scalp and hair, taking extra care around the eyes.
- After 15 minutes, wash away with water.
3. Coconut Milk And Lavender Hair Mask
If your hair loss is caused by stress, use lavender oil. This natural remedy will do wonders for anxiety. Studies have even proven that lavender encourages hair growth and may increase the number of follicles. It can deepen the depth of hair follicles, making it easier for hair to grow.4
- Prepare ¼ to ½ cup coconut milk.
- Add 5 to 7 drops of lavender oil.
- Mix well and spread onto the scalp and hair.
- Wait for 15 minutes and rinse as usual.
4. Coconut Milk And Egg Hair Mask
Many people use eggs for beautiful, healthy hair. With coconut milk, the benefits are even greater! This combo will add protein, vitamin E, and “good” fats to weak and brittle hair.
- Crack open 1 egg.
- Using a fork, whisk until it turns frothy.
- Add ¼ cup coconut milk and mix well.
- Apply to the scalp and hair. Let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Rinse it away with water.
5. Coconut Milk And Yogurt Hair Mask
Tangling is a major culprit of hair loss.
- Pour ¼ to ½ cup coconut milk.
- Mix an equal amount of plain, unflavored yogurt.
- Apply to your scalp and hair. To de-tangle strands, massage into the hair.
- After 15 minutes, wash it out.
Frequency And Storage
For best results, choose a treatment and do it 2 to 3 times a week. Store in the refrigerator to maintain freshness. If your scalp becomes too oily, limit to 1 to 2 times a week.
Sometimes, hair loss is caused by an underlying condition. Hormonal imbalances and high fevers are perfect examples.6 In such cases, coconut oil won’t save the day, but it will still keep your hair healthy. So, consider using coconut oil instead of harsh hair products.
|↑1||Habibullah Aktas, Sevil Alan, Elif Betül Türkoglu, and Özge Sevik. “Could Topical Minoxidil Cause Non-Arteritic Anterior Ischemic Optic Neuropathy?.” Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR 10, no. 8 (2016): WD01.|
|↑2||Lima, E. B. C., C. N. S. Sousa, L. N. Meneses, N. C. Ximenes, Santos Júnior, G. S. Vasconcelos, N. B. C. Lima, M. C. A. Patrocínio, D. Macedo, and S. M.
|↑3||Oh, Ji Young, Min Ah Park, and Young Chul Kim. “Peppermint oil promotes hair growth without toxic signs.” Toxicological research 30, no. 4 (2014): 297.|
|↑4||Lee, Boo Hyeong, Jae Soon Lee, and Young Chul Kim. “Hair Growth-Promoting Effects
|↑5||Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid). University of Maryland Medical Center.|
|↑6||Hair Loss. American Academy of Dermatology.|