We all know that apple cider vinegar has great benefits for the body when used internally. It’s also commonly used to condition hair and gives a beautiful shine. So it’s not surprising to learn that this miracle product is great for your face and skin as well! Here are some ways in which apple cider vinegar helps keep your skin radiant and glowing. Remember that you need to get apple cider vinegar that is raw, unpasteurized, organic and still contains the bacterial culture that helps the fermentation process, called ‘the mother’.
Note: Always do a patch test to make sure that your skin is not sensitive or allergic to apple cider vinegar . Some stinging is normal but if you notice your skin peeling or getting raw over time, stop its use immediately.
1. Reduces Age Spots, Scars, And Blemishes
Apple cider vinegar contains alpha-hydroxy acids which have been proven to lighten skin and help remove pigmentation.1 This is why it can be so effective when used on blemishes. Most cosmetic products include them in their ingredient lists but they may not be as effective once they’ve been processed and bottled for a long time.
2. Prevents Wrinkles
Apple cider vinegar cannot get rid of existing wrinkles but it can prevent them. The vinegar can help hydrate the skin and tighten it up to prevent sagging.
3. Balances pH
Apple cider vinegar has a pH of about 4.5-5.5 which is close to the natural pH of the skin on our face. Bringing this pH back to normal levels helps prevent the production of excess sebum. Sebum is what causes oily skin and over time causes breakouts.
4. Gets Rid Of Acne And Pimples
Other than by balancing the pH of the skin, apple cider vinegar gets rid of acne and pimples by acting as a toner to remove excess oil, makeup, dirt, and grime. Getting rid of this buildup helps prevent frequent acne and pimples.
5. Reduces Inflammation
Apple cider vinegar can help reduce the appearance of redness across the face. Thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, apple cider vinegar is a great remedy for things like razor burn as well. It can help these burns and bruises heal faster by preventing infection.2 Be warned that it will sting but it’s not intolerable pain.
6. Detoxes Skin
The acetic acid in apple cider vinegar has anti-bacterial properties that may help cleanse your skin and draw out the toxins leaving you with clean, refreshed skin.3
How To Use It
- If you wish to use it for spot reduction on scars, blemishes and age spots, you can dip a cotton swab in undiluted apple cider vinegar and apply directly to the marks on your face.
- For use on the overall face for cleansing and toning, use a 50% solution of apple cider vinegar in water. Use a cotton ball to spread onto the face. Let it dry naturally and do not rinse off. The scent will dissipate on its own in a short while.
- Remember to do a patch test before attempting to use these remedies.
- Always consult your physician before using apple cider vinegar for acne reduction, especially if you are already using prescribed medicated products for your skin.
- Try not to use apple cider vinegar on your face more than 2-3 times a week since it can be drying for skin
Apple cider vinegar is an all-natural remedy that can give you the great skin results you always wanted without breaking your pocket. Try it out for yourself and feel the difference!
|↑1||Yamamoto, Yuki, Koji Uede, Nozomi Yonei, Akiko Kishioka, Toshio Ohtani, and Fukumi Furukawa. “Effects of alpha‐hydroxy acids on the human skin of Japanese subjects: The rationale for chemical peeling.” The Journal of dermatology 33, no. 1 (2006): 16-22.|
|↑2, ↑3||Johnston, Carol S., and Cindy A. Gaas. “Vinegar: medicinal uses and antiglycemic effect.” Medscape General Medicine 8, no. 2 (2006): 61.|