There’s a detox for every part of your body, including your vagina! Vaginal steaming is an age-old remedy, believed to boost the health of your nether regions. It is said to ease menstrual cramps and to raise your libido. Vaginal steaming involves using steam and a selection of herbs to cleanse the vagina.
According to Chinese medicine, it is used to relieve stagnation and coldness in the body. In Eastern medicine, it is used to dilate the blood vessels, increase blood circulation, provide oxygenation and relax the pelvic floor muscles.
Facts About Vaginal Steaming
- The best time to do vaginal steaming is after your period and it is discouraged during it.
- You should also avoid vaginal steaming if you believe you may be pregnant.
- Typically vaginal steaming lasts for about twenty to forty-five minutes and care should be taken to avoid using steam too close or too hot so as not to burn or irritate the sensitive vaginal tissue.
Traditional Herbs For Vaginal Health
- Rose petals
- Chamomile and others
How To Do A Vaginal-Steam Bath At Home?
- Boil about 1 gallon of filtered water and add your selection of dried or fresh herbs.
- Use about 1 cup of dried herbs. If you use fresh herbs, triple the amount as dried herbs is generally more potent and concentrated than fresh herbs.
- Boil for 10 minutes and continue to steep off of the stove for an additional 5 minutes.
- Then pour the herbal water into a bowl.
- Sit over the bowl comfortably on a slatted chair without your underwear.
- Put a towel or a blanket around your waist and create a tent over the bowl.
- Steam your vagina and the surrounding areas for about 20 to 30 minutes.
It is completely normal to experience some cramping or have a vaginal discharge after the session, especially if you are doing it for the first time.
Word Of Caution
If you’re expecting a cleanse-like result from vaginal steaming, this is far from it. The vagina is self-cleaning. You only need plain water to keep your lady bits in check. This is not recommended to do at home because there is a number of things that go wrong, including burning yourself or getting a severe allergic reaction. Some spas do offer this service but it is not FDA approved or NHS backed.
Also, if you really want to boost vaginal health, make sure to include probiotics in your diet. Other things that can improve your health are getting in a healthy weight range, regular physical activity, no smoking, and eating clean.
If you’re interested in the experience, you can always try a nice warm bath or a sauna for a full body steam instead!