When the skin of a person cannot retain moisture, it becomes dry. Dry skin is a very common and uncomfortable skin condition that happens to most people during winters. The skin becomes dry due to many other conditions such as dehydration, dry weather, use of harsh soaps, hot water baths, and sometimes, due to certain medical conditions. Dry skin needs proper treatment because if the condition prolongs, it can lead to dermatitis.
We often use commercial products to moisturize our skin ignoring the fact that they contain harmful chemicals that may damage the skin. Many of us might not know that olive oil has proved to be a nature’s gift to treat dry skin. Olive oil contains Vitamin E and healthy fats that help in treating dry skin and protecting the skin against wind and sun rays. Olive oil also has antioxidant properties and anti-aging properties, which prevents wrinkles and promotes skin cell renewal.
Easy Ways To Use Olive Oil For Dry Skin
To treat dry skin effectively, you can use olive oil alone or with a combination of other natural ingredients.
Virgin Olive Oil
A good olive oil massage can re-hydrate and moisturize your skin easily.
1. Take 2-3 tablespoons of virgin olive oil in a bowl.
2. Massage the oil over the dry skin in circular motions for about 5-7 minutes.
3. Let the oil penetrate into the skin and leave it on for 15-20 minutes.
4. Rinse the application off with a mild cleanser and warm water.
Sugar And Olive Oil
Sugar acts as a mild exfoliating scrub for skin. When you combine olive oil with sugar, it acts as a scrub and gently removes dry and dead skin cells without any damage caused to the skin. Sugar also contains glycolic acid that helps in maintaining the perfect oil balance in the skin.
1. Take 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil in a bowl.
2. Add a tablespoon of sugar to the oil and stir it.
3. Apply this mixture on your face and any other dry area.
4. Massage for 5-10 minutes.
5. Leave the sugar and olive oil scrub on for another 15 minutes.
6. Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
7. Repeat this remedy 2-3 times every week.
Lemon Juice And Olive Oil
The high content of Vitamin C in lemon juice acts as an antioxidant that protects the skin against free radical damage. Vitamin C also helps in holding the skin cells together by boosting elastin and collagen and removes dry and dead skin cells from the skin.
1. Take 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice in a bowl.
2. Mix it with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
3. Apply the mixture on your face and leave it on for 10 minutes.
4. Rinse it off with a mild cleanser and lukewarm water.
Please note that you should avoid sun exposure after this treatment for the next 5-6 hours as lemon makes the skin photosensitive.
Glycerin And Olive Oil
Glycerin has amazing moisturizing properties and acts as a natural humectant. It is also known to soften rough and coarse skin and make the skin smooth.
1. Take 1 tablespoon each of glycerin and water in a bowl.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to it.
3. Apply this mixture on your face after bath and massage it well.
4. Leave it on and repeat this remedy 2-3 times a week.
Tea Tree Oil And Olive Oil
Tea tree oil is known to contain anti-inflammatory properties that protect the skin against free radical damage. It also helps in getting rid of dead and dry skin cells and promotes the renewal of skin cells.
1. Take 5-8 drops of tea tree oil in a bowl.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to it.
3. Mix it well and apply it over your face.
4. Massage the oil on your face for 5 minutes.
5. Leave it on for 10 minutes and later, take a bath.
6. Repeat the process 2-3 times every week.
Shea Butter And Olive Oil
You can use shea butter and olive oil for a good face and body massage and get rid of dry skin conditions. Shea butter contains vitamins and fatty acids that nourishes excessively dry skin by retaining the natural oils present in the body. It is also helpful in reducing the formation of wrinkles.
1. Take 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in a bowl.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of raw, unrefined shea butter to it.
3. Whisk the mixture well using a fork.
4. Apply it on your face, neck, and other body parts.
5. Massage the mixture thoroughly for 5-7 minutes.
6. Leave it on for another 20 minutes and rinse it off with water.
7. Repeat this process 2-3 times every week.
With these easy home remedies done with natural ingredients, dry skin conditions can be improved significantly.