In this age of day-by-day increasing mental stress, strain, and cut-throat competition, we are finding it more and more difficult to cope with the pressures of day to day life. Ayurvedic brain tonic claims at not only increasing the powers of the brain but also at keeping the mental diseases away, along with helping to cure them desirably. It is believed that a number of diseases have their root in the brain of an individual. That is one of the reasons why the number of psychological and neurological cases is on the increase.
Ayurveda Dosha Healing And Mental Balance
According to ayurveda text, the balance of the three body humors viz. air, fire, and phlegm or the vata, pitta, and kapha doshas when disturbed tends to manifest itself both in somatic as well as psychic spheres.
- Vitiation of the vata dosha destroys mental sense and gives rise to grief and infatuation.
- When the pitta dosha or the fire humor of the body gets aggravated beyond its normal limits, may lead to mental states of fear, lust, and grief.
- Similarly, imbalance in kapha causes lethargy and indiscrimination.
These dosha imbalances
There is a herb named as shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis) which is one of the nature’s precise answers to brain weakness. It has been used since ages in ayurveda therapy to sharpen intellect and increase the mental powers, as it has a cooling, calming, and subsiding action on the brain. Shankhpushpi is believed to be a medhya rasayana (brain tonic) in ayurveda and it is a rejuvenator par excellence. One teaspoonful of the
Brahmi (Centella asiatica) is another useful brain tonic. It can be taken in powder or paste form along with milk. You could also extract juice by pounding the fresh herb and take it once or twice in a dose of 20 ml approx. Though useful for all ages, it is a boon for students as it increases the intellect and helps undo stress and strain. Powder of this herb taken along with powdered herbs of shatavari (asparagus) and ashwagandha (winter cherry) aids in reducing the aggravated pitta or fire in the system and thus gives a calming effect to the brain. It is also a good cure for bilious headaches.
Roots of the herb of jatamansi (Nordostachys jatamansi) helps to tone up the brain and stabilizes mental abilities. It is another excellent restorative as it helps subside all the three body humors. It thus has a specific action on the nervous system and aids in curing a number of mental diseases like hysteria, depression, insomnia, epilepsy, and loss of memory. It has also shown results in hypertension.
Another herb by the name of shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) is a body and brain rejuvenator and good for intellect. All the more, it helps undo the everyday strain and induces sound sleep. This can be taken in powder form in a dose of 3 to 5 grams along with milk or mixed into equal amount of honey. Also, some medicinal preparations of the herb are
Ayurveda Recommends Lifestyle Modifications
- The daily diet intake should be regularized in means of proper timing as well as nutritional balance. Try avoiding oily, heavy, and spicy meals in your routine. Fresh juices, fibrous foods, raw green vegetables, and garden herbs provide with ample supply of antioxidants and resistance boosters. A good amount of water intake is also a must.
- A sound mind dwells in a sound body. It is therefore essential to keep the body fit and healthy in order to develop better intellect. A regular exercise schedule or walks in fresh air especially in the early sunrise could do wonders.
- Sound sleep for eight hours is your daily rest requirement for the proper functioning and recharging of your brain powers.
- Make a daily work list and try to handle problems one by one, as it would be rather difficult to cope up with the accumulation.
- Massage of the scalp and soles of the feet with sesame seed oil is also suggested.
- Cow’s ghee is quite beneficial for the brain. It should be included in the daily diet and can also be inhaled through the nostrils.