The main reason most folks are overweight, is not lack of exercise, or slow metabolism, or sluggish thyroid –it’s overeating.
It’s impossible to lose weight when you overeat; and the crazy thing is that most folks overeat without realizing. A study conducted by New England Journal of medicine found, that dieters tend to underestimate the calories consumed and overestimate the calories burnt.
One of the best possible ways to avoid overeating, is to count calories. But it’s hectic and most of the people don’t have time to weigh food and measure the portions. If that’s you, I have got 8 practical strategies that will help you eat less, without counting calories.
1. Drink A Glass Of Water Before And After Every Meal
- Most of the times we mistake hunger for thirst; so drink water before a meal to quench thirst and leave space in the stomach for a glass of water after the meal.
- It is advisable to first drink water (before you eat) whenever you are hungry. Drinking 500 ml of water, can temporarily boost your metabolism up to 30%.
- It is recommended that you
2. Eat More Fiber
- Consumption of fiber, will increase your satiety and keep you full for long.
- Foods rich in fiber are low in calories and rich in nutrients.
- Eat foods rich in fiber in every meal. Some of the fiber-rich foods include: vegetables, lean meat, beans, nuts, fruits and whole grains.
3. Use Smaller Plates And Spoons
- Research shows, that people tend to overeat when they use bigger plates and eat less portions when they use smaller plates. So serve food in smaller plates and use small spoons.
- Alternatively, when serving food, fill two-thirds of what you normally fill in the plate.
4. Sit Properly And Eat Slowly
- Sitting in the right posture, will improve your awareness and mindfulness when eating.
- Take time to chew and swallow your food. You will get full faster, when you eat slowly. It takes about 20 minutes for the brain to realize that you are full. On the other hand, eating in a hurry will make you overeat.
- Always give yourself time before you add food to your plate; in case you are not satiated.
Distractions When Eating
- Mindless eating is one of the reasons binging is common. Folks mindlessly pop food in their mouth and before they realize, the crisps bag is empty.
- You won’t realize when you are full, if you focus on other activities. So don’t watch TV or listen to music during mealtime. Just focus on eating only.
6. Avoid Calorie Containing Beverages
- Calories from beverages like soda, diet soda, fruit juice and energy drinks, eventually add up and cause weight gain.
- Getting all the calories from solid food, is a sure way to avoid excess calories.
- Limit the intake of coffee, if you usually add sugar to it.
7. Reduce Sugar Intake
- Higher intake of sugar, makes the body resistant to leptin. Leptin is the hormone, which sends signal to the brain that you are full. When the body becomes resistant to leptin, the brain doesn’t receive the signal that you are full, so there is a possibility that you will overeat.
- You have probably noticed that you get hungry quickly; when you eat simple carbs or foods with added sugar.
8. Use A Plate When Eating Packaged Foods
- Research shows that
- Putting the food in a plate, will help you know how much you are eating.