Wrinkles are a by-product of the aging process. With age, skin cells divide more slowly, and the inner layer, called the dermis, begins to thin. The network of elastin (the protein which causes skin to stretch) and collagen fibers (the major structural proteins in the skin), which support the outer layer, loosen and unravel, causing depressions on the surface. With aging, skin also loses its elasticity, is less able to retain moisture, oil-secreting glands are less efficient and the skin is slower to heal.
Symptoms Of Wrinkles
- Lined and creased skin
- Sagging skin
- Areas that are more affected include sensitive skin near the eyes, lips, and neck.
Though some creases are temporary, they may become deeper and more permanent due to ageing.
Causes Of Wrinkles
Facial Muscle Contractions
Lines between the eyebrows (frown lines) and lines jutting from the corner of the eyes (crow’s feet) are believed to develop because of small muscle contractions. Smiling, frowning, squinting, and other habitual facial expressions cause these wrinkles to become more prominent. Over time, the expressions coupled with gravity contribute to the formation of jowls and drooping eyelids.
Exposure to ultraviolet
Healthy skin perpetually regenerates. While old collagen is broken down and removed, new collagen is produced. Researchers have found that smoke causes a marked reduction in the production of new collagen. A lack of new collagen results in the development of wrinkles.
Rapid Weight Loss Can Produce Wrinkles
Natural Remedies For Wrinkles
- Apply egg whites to the skin under your eyes.
- Odor-free castor oil can be applied to the skin under the eyes or on that of the throat.
- Empty the contents of three
- A mixture of 1/4 cup comfrey infusion, 1/4 cup witch hazel, and 10 drops of patchouli essential oil is effective in treating wrinkles. This can be stored in a clean bottle and applied on affected areas with a cotton ball.
- Gently massage coconut oil on portions of skin prone to wrinkles every night a bedtime.
- A paste of turmeric made with sugarcane juice is great to get rid of wrinkles and slow skin ageing.
- Cut a green Thompson seedless grape in half and gently crush it on your face on the wrinkles. Leave it for 20 minutes, rinse with warm water, and let it dry in natural air.
- Rub the core of pineapple on the face and leave it for 10-15 minutes before rinsing off. This works well on fine wrinkles.
- Applying juice of green pineapples and apples on the face daily for 10-15 minutes is good
- Application of pure castor oil regularly prevents wrinkles.