Too lazy to hit the gym today? Stay at home and try these simple, yet powerful exercises that can be performed right in your living room using just a bath towel. Each of the exercises mentioned here targets a different muscle of your body and helps you stay in shape.
9 Towel Exercises For Body Toning
1. Rocking Cradle
This exercise targets the abdominal muscles.
- Lie on your back, with knees bent, feet lifted, ankles crossed and knees open to the sides.
- Hold the towel folded lengthwise, with hands wide and use it to cradle your head.
- Lift your head and shoulders up off the floor and gently rock to left shoulder and hip, until left elbow touches the floor.
- Contract your abs and use them to stop your momentum and then, shift to the right side.
- This is one rep. Repeat up to 3 sets of 10 reps.
2. Shoulder Squeeze
This exercise targets the shoulders (rotator cuff).
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, knees soft, holding the towel near its center, with your hands shoulder-width apart and towel slightly slack.
- Squeeze your elbows against the sides of the body and pull hands wide apart, tightening the towel.
- Hold for one count and then release. The action resembles opening and closing your jacket.
- Repeat up to 20 times for 3 sets in total.
3. Skate And Slide
This exercise targets your thighs, hips, and the glutes.
- Fold the towel into a small square and place it on the floor under your left foot.
- Balance your weight on your right leg, bend the right knee and push hips back while sliding left leg out to the side, fully extending your knee into a lateral lunge position.
- Straighten the right leg while sliding left leg back in and return to the starting position.
- Bend your elbows and allow your arms to swing naturally to help you maintain your balance as you slide in and out.
- Try up to 3 sets of 15 reps on each leg.
4. Shifting Push-Up
This exercise targets the chest and arms.
- Start from a modified push-up position, hands about shoulder-width, with left hand on top of the towel folded into a small square.
- Slowly slide right arm out to the side, bending elbows to lower torso toward the floor.
- Slide towel back in as arms straighten to return to start position.
- Repeat all reps on one side before switching and try up to 2 sets of 10 reps on each side.
5. Static Lunge Row
This exercise targets your back, legs, and biceps.
- Begin by standing with your right foot
- Bend both knees to lower into a lunge and then hinge forward from hips keeping your back straight.
- Pull the ends of the towel towards the body, keeping elbows close to sides, squeezing shoulder blades back and together (grasp lower on the towel for more resistance or higher for less resistance).
- Maintain the lunge and continue pulling the towel hard for 30 seconds and then switch legs and repeat.
- Repeat at least 2 sets on each leg and be sure to keep the spine straight, abs tight and front knee over your heel.
6. Balancing Pulldown
This exercise targets the back, arms, and calves.
- Stand with your feet hip-width, knees soft, holding the towel with your hands slightly wider than your shoulders.
- Reach your arms overhead, with the towel slightly in front of your body and pull the
- Brace your abs in and pull the towel towards your chest, bending the elbows.
- While pressing the shoulders down, lift your heels off the floor, balancing on the balls of your feet.
- Return to the start position. That makes one rep. Repeat 15 times for up to 3 sets in total.
7. Triceps Pull
This exercise targets the triceps and the shoulders.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, knees soft and hold one end of the towel with your left hand.
- Extend your left arm up and bring towel behind your back so that it aligns with your spine and bend your left elbow.
- Bend the right arm behind your back and grasp the towel at your lower back.
- Holding your right arm steady, slowly extend the left arm upward (pull harder for more resistance, lighter for less resistance) and then bend back to start.
- That makes one rep. Repeat 12 times on each side for up to 3 sets in total.
This exercise targets the abs, legs, and arms.
- Start in a plank position with arms straight, wrists directly under your shoulders.
- Keep your legs straight at hip-width and place your toes on a folded towel.
- Tighten your abs and keep the arms stationary as you use the abs to drag the towel in toward your hips, bending the knees.
- Hold for one count and then slowly straighten legs back out to start.
- Do at least 3 sets of 10 reps.
9. Coasting Cobra
This exercise targets the lower back, glutes, and the triceps.
- Lie face down, with legs extended and hip-width apart, arms extended shoulder-width apart and hands on a towel folded a few times lengthwise.
- Extend the spine as high as possible, lifting your chest as arms bend, sliding the towel into
- Lower your chin towards the chest and focus downward to avoid any neck strain.
- Try up to 3 sets of 15 reps each.