Giving in to those random sugar cravings every now and then? You’re sure to find yourself gaining weight in your thighs, buttocks, and waistline. Eating a lot of sugary foods and leading a sedentary life is often the reason for this. Any sugar you eat but don’t burn gets converted into fat as backup fuel. More often than not, this fat doesn’t get used and you end up gaining weight. While cutting down sugary foods is the first step you should take, incorporating the right kind of exercises into your daily routine is also crucial.
Here are 6 simple exercises that, when practiced regularly, can help you burn off excess weight gained by fat buildup.
Squats are easy to do and incredibly effective for burning fat in your thighs and buttocks. They engage your core and lower body muscles.
- Start by standing with your feet about a foot apart. Keep your arms at your sides.
- Slowly lower your body and bend your knees while raising your arms in front of you.
- Continue till your thighs are parallel to the ground. Keep your back straight the entire time.
- Then, slowly go back to the initial position and bring your arms back to the side.
- Repeat 15–20 times.
2. Forward Lunges
Forward lunges are a great way to burn off fat in your ab and hip regions. They work primarily on your lower body muscles.
- Stand with your feet about a foot apart and your back straight. Place your hands on your hips.
- Step forward with your right leg. Ensure that your knee doesn’t go past your ankle and that it makes a 90-degree angle with your left leg.
- Hold this position for a few seconds and go back to the starting position.
- Repeat these steps with your left leg.
- Alternate and repeat 10 times with each leg.
Crunches have for the longest time been known as a great way to get rid of excess abdominal fat. They give your core and lower back muscles a great workout.
- Lie down on the ground with your feet hip-width apart and flat on the floor.
- Place your hands below your head with your elbows on the side. Point your chin upward.
- Tilt your pelvis slightly upward, keeping your abs as tight as possible.
- Take a deep breath, contract your abs, and slowly lift your shoulders up. Exhale as you move upward.
- Then, go back down slowly while inhaling.
- Repeat 10–15 times.
If you’re looking for one exercise to help burn fat in many areas, burpees are it. They’re great for exercising your core, chest, and leg muscles all at once.
- Stand straight.
- Lower yourself into a squat with palms on the floor in front of you.
- Shift your weight to your hands and push your feet backward softly to go into the standard plank position. Keep your back straight.
- Then, jump your feet back toward your hands.
- Jump up toward the ceiling and raise your hands upward.
- Then, come back into the squat position.
- Repeat 10–15 times.
5. Double Jumps
A double jump is simply a combination of a squat, jump, and lunge. Doing a few reps will get your heart rate going and burn excess fat in your buttocks, abs, and legs.
- Start with a squat as deep as possible.
- From here, jump while you’re rising and land in a forward lunge position, keeping your right leg back.
- Then, jump back into a squat.
- Repeat this with alternate legs for about a minute.
6. Mountain Climbers
These are great if you’re looking to burn fat in more than one part of your body. They work on the sides of your core, buttocks, and hamstrings. If you own resistance bands, you can use them while doing this exercise.
- Start in the standard plank position.
- Bring your right knee in toward your chest. Ensure that the toes of your right leg don’t touch the floor.
- Move it back and return to the plank position.
- Then, repeat these steps with the left knee.
- Keep alternating between both legs for about 2 minutes and then rest.
The best part about these exercises is that you don’t have to worry about having any kind of gym equipment. All you need is your body. Mix the exercises up as you like and you have your very own workout routine. Start today and say goodbye to all that excess flab!