Troubled by acne, blemishes, or dry skin? Instead of going for commercial beauty products, opt for sandalwood powder, which has been extensively used in ayurveda as a holistic way to treat skin conditions. Its numerous health and beauty benefits can treat skin rashes, blemishes, acne, and many other skin problems. Here are the benefits of sandalwood powder for your skin.
1. Removes Blemishes And Warts
Blemishes caused by pimples, acne, rashes, or injuries can leave a mark on the skin, which can sometimes be permanent. Sandalwood is known to remove stubborn blemishes and spots. Sandalwood may also be effective in the removal of warts, especially genital warts caused by HPV virus.1
- Mix 1 tablespoon of turmeric, 1 tablespoon of sandalwood powder, a small tablet of camphor, and 1 teaspoon of milk into a paste.
- Gently massage it on the affected area and leave it overnight.
- Wash off the next morning with cold water.
- Doing this regularly helps remove blemishes and warts by relaxing your skin.
2. Prevents And Cures Pimples
When the skin produces sebum and oil in excess quantities, impurities, dirt, and germs clog the skin pores. This traps the sebum and oil below the skin surface and results in pimples. Sandalwood’s anti-bacterial properties also help your skin fight the acne-causing bacteria, making your skin look flawless.
To Cure Pimples
- Mix 1 tablespoon of sandalwood powder, 1 teaspoon of milk, and a pinch of turmeric powder into a paste.
- Apply the paste on the skin and leave it for 30 minutes. Wash it with cold water.
The medicinal properties of sandalwood and turmeric heal the affected areas and make the skin glow.
To Prevent Acne
- Apply a face mask of 1 tablespoon of sandalwood powder and 1 teaspoon of milk.
- Wash it with cold water after 20 minutes.
- Then gently dab your skin with cotton wool dipped in rose water.
3. Removes Sun Tan
Sandalwood powder helps remove suntan and reduce sunburns. Since the powder has a soothing effect, applying it on irritated sunburnt skin also helps.2
- Mix 1 tablespoon of sandalwood powder and 1 teaspoon of honey or milk into a paste.
- Apply the paste on the skin.
- Keep the mask on for 30 minutes and wash off with cold water.
Doing this thrice a week removes suntan and evens out skin tone.
4. Reduces Wrinkles And Signs Of Aging
Exposure to sun, dust, and pollution can lead to premature skin aging. Even washing the face frequently with face wash to remove the dirt and grime does not help, as essential oils may be lost due to frequent washes. This causes wrinkles, sagging, dryness, and other skin conditions that make the skin appear older. Sandalwood powder is an effective method to reduce signs of aging, as it minimizes the damage caused by free radicals.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of honey, 2 tablespoons of sandalwood powder, and 1 egg yolk into a paste and apply it on your face.
- After 1 hour, wash it with cold water.
Use this technique regularly to improve the skin elasticity and prevent the skin from sagging.
5. Heals Dry Skin
Dry and flaky skin can cause itchiness and frustration. The oils found in sandalwood can help cure these skin problems and leave your skin supple, soft, and moisturized.
- Apply the sandalwood paste twice a week for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with cold water.
- Gently pat the skin dry.
6. Enhances Skin Brightness
Instead of using chemical-filled creams that promise “instant radiance,” opt for sandalwood powder. Regularly applying sandalwood powder can increase the glow and the brightness of the skin.
- Mix a pinch of turmeric, 1 teaspoon of milk, and 1 tablespoon of sandalwood powder.
- Apply it on your face and neck.
- After 30 minutes, wash it with cold water for a radiant skin.
7. Exfoliates The Skin
Exfoliation is crucial for healthy skin and must be done using natural products for effective results. Sandalwood powder, when mixed with chickpea powder, is one of the best ingredients for skin exfoliation.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of sandalwood powder, 1 tablespoon of black chickpea powder, and rose water or milk into a paste.
- Gently massage this paste on your face in a circular motion.
- Let the face pack dry for 30 minutes.
- Wash your face with cold water.
Sandalwood powder can add years to your skin, making it look and feel younger. Just make sure that the sandalwood powder you buy is genuine and is from an authorized trader. Due to the high demand for sandalwood powder, the market is often flooded with cheap, adulterated imitations.
|↑1||Haque, Malika H., and Azeez U. Haque. “Use of sandalwood oil for the prevention and treatment of warts, skin blemishes and other viral-induced tumors.” U.S. Patent 6,132,756, issued October 17, 2000.|
|↑2||Jain, S. K., and N. K. Jain. “Multiparticulate carriers for sun‐screening agents.” International journal of cosmetic science 32, no. 2 (2010): 89-98.|