Diet plays an important role in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatoid arthritis is a complex and chronic disease, involving many systems. In Ayurvedic treatment for rheumatoid arthritis, diet advice is as important as Panchakarma therapy and the Ayurvedic medicines. Since Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic disease (long-standing), the dietary restrictions are to be observed for a long period of time as well.
Rheumatoid Arthritis Diet Plan Helps
- Avoid worsening of joint pain, stiffness and swelling
- Avoid worsening of gastro – intestinal health.
- Avoid ‘Ama’ formation – a state of impaired digestion and metabolism, which is the main cause for Rheumatoid arthritis, according to Ayurveda.
- Avoid imbalance of Kapha and Vata, which in turn worsen stiffening, pain and inflammation.
Healthy Eating Habits
First thing first. It is mandatory for a rheumatoid arthritis patient to follow healthy eating rules and Ayurvedic eating tips. It is very important to correct the stomach and intestine health first. There can be many diet to improve digestion metabolism etc, but it will be more fruitful if there is discipline in eating.
Foods To Avoid
Anything that is heavy to digest, that takes long time to digest, is to be avoided. Ayurveda enlists the following foods to avoid in Rheumatoid arthritis –
- Curd: Curds are not ideal to take in Rheumatoid arthritis as it affects stomach health.
- Sea Food: But some research shows that fish oil, rich in omega 3 fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) can reduce stiffness, pain and inflammation.
- Contaminated water, cold water, frozen food stuff: Causes increase in Vata and Kapha leading to increase in pain and stiffness.
- Contrasting food: Avoid contrasting foods such as milk with fish, etc.
- Black gram.
- High fat meat, mutton etc.
- Food that are heavy to digest, deep-fried stuff, junk foods, aerated drinks are a strict no no.
Click to read causes and symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis
- A disciplined approach to life is a must for rheumatoid arthritis patients.
- Ayurveda advices a few diet restrictions. Avoiding certain types of food goes a long way in helping the improvement of joints.
- Since Rheumatoid disease is a chronic disease, long term diet restriction is needed.