Herpes, one of the most dreaded sexually transmitted diseases, often leaves people embarrassed. This is a reason good enough for people to look for home remedies to treat it. It is caused by the herpes virus, which can live dormant in a person’s immune system for a lifetime. Herpes is identifiable by active disease periods, during which it causes blisters that burst and turn into uncomfortable cold sores or ulcers.
Here are some of the best natural remedies that are simple yet powerful enough to make sure you get well in the comfort of your home. All you need to do is be patient and wait for the remedies to work.
Remedies To Cure Herpes Naturally At Home
1. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera – often known as the immortality plant – is a cactus. Its effectiveness has been proved and backed by various clinical analyses. It treats herpes lesions much faster than anything else. This is because it
Here’s how you can use aloe vera effectively for herpes.
- Cut a fresh leaf of the plant. Wash it and then cut it open with a knife.
- Extract the thick juice, and apply it on the blisters and sores at least three times a day.
- Let it dry completely before wiping the gel with a washcloth soaked in warm water.
In case aloe vera does not grow anywhere around you, buy a plant for yourself. You’ll easily be able to grow and take care of it. In the meantime, grab an over-the-counter aloe vera gel tube to use topically.
2. Goldenseal Herb
Goldenseal is a dependable, traditional medicine. It has the reputation of being a healing agent due to the presence of berberine. Researchers in modern medicine have found that it has antibiotic, anticarcinogenic, and immunity strengthening properties. Goldenseal is highly beneficial for
As A Powder
- Take a small amount of the herb powder, and apply it on the sore.
- Rub it gently three times a day.
As A Tincture
- Dilute goldenseal in 3-5 drops of water in a cup.
- Soak the compress, and apply it on the sensitive areas.
- Use an undiluted goldenseal tincture for other affected areas 3 times a day.
If you’re pregnant, ensure that you do not use it for more than two weeks at a time; however, avoid using goldenseal altogether if you’re pregnant.
Garlic is one of nature’s best antimicrobials that contain ajoene and allicin. Ajoene and allicin are powerful plant chemicals known to kill a host of bacteria, viruses, and parasites including the herpes simplex 2 virus. So look
- Chop the cloves or grind them to make a fine paste.
- Mix the cloves well with honey; consume 2 tsp of this freshly made mixture every day. While consuming it, hold the mixture in your mouth for as long as you can and then swallow it.
In addition, if you wish to keep outbreaks at bay, 1 tsp of this mix followed by delicious echinacea tea can do wonders.
4. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is one among the established remedies for herpes. It is derived from a plant that’s native to Australia. It is a natural antiseptic, antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal by nature. If applied at the first sign of an outbreak, the phenylpropanoids and terpenes in it aid healing and avoid
- First, wash your hands and pat them dry.
- Mix 2 drops of tea tree oil with 2 tsp of a carrier oil of your choice. Almond and olive oil are often the most preferred ones.
- Dip a cotton swab in the oil, and apply the oil on the sore.
- Wash your hands with soap and water after application because tea tree oil is toxic when swallowed.
- Let the tea tree oil dry completely; wash and then reapply it 2-4 times a day.
5. Prunella Vulgaris
Prunella vulgaris, also known as heal-all and self-heal, is an edible medicinal herb. It was used for centuries everywhere in the world to treat every ailment ever known to man. Researchers have found flavonoids to be the reason for its anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antiviral properties. Prunella vulgaris is extremely beneficial for treating herpes because the tannins in it reduce moisture, which in turn makes the survival of the virus difficult. So if you wish to
- Mix a cup of chopped, dried Prunella vulgaris and a cup of olive oil in a jar.
- Put a cheesecloth over the mouth of the jar; then, close it with a lid.
- Place the jar out in the sun, and let the herb soak in the oil for 3-6 weeks. Open the jar to stir the herb every day.
- After 3-6 weeks, strain the oil to apply it on the affected area whenever required.
Despite being a little time consuming, this is one of the best remedies you can try.
Other Effective Natural Home Remedies
Oregon grape root is the perfect substitute for goldenseal herb because of its strong antimicrobial germ-killing component.
The holy basil is yet another antiviral herb for herpes that has been used in India for ages for general well being.
Lemon balm contains tannins, elderberry contains flavonoids, and licorice root contains glycyrrhizin – an anti-inflammatory compound that helps treat herpes.
So which of these are you going to put your trust in? Because every single one of them is totally worth it!