Finding vegetarian alternatives for everything that a carnivore eats can become quite a task at times. The conventional burger is not for vegetarians and many recipes have been developed to make the best veggie burger out there. There are many vegetarians who still think that a veggie burger can be just two things – bland and unappetizing. Here are 5 steps to keep in mind before you make a veggie burger at home that’s drool-worthy!
1. Get The Right Buns
There is an array of buns you can choose to start preparing your veggie burger. It’s advised that you choose a bun that’s freshly baked, pillowy and has the right crunch to it. It should be tight enough to hold up the juices and should have a distinct sweetness.Potato buns are just right to hold up the patties and fillings.
2. Patties Should Be Firm And Juicy
Vegetable patties need sturdy, fibrous and starchy veggies that can give them a natural shape. While making the patties add ample bread crumbs and eggs to help in binding the mix. If you are a vegan, opt for silken tofu or aquafaba as egg replacements. Always add some oil while mixing your patties to keep them moist.
3. Bake And Grill The Burgers
Many people just bake their burgers but vegetable burgers tend to lose their moisture a lot after spending time in the oven. It’s best to bake it and then grill it in butter or any vegetable oil of your choice. This will give your burger a crispy and greasy crust. It even tastes much better than a baked one.1
4. Opt For Fresh Produce
Use vegetables and leafy greens that are locally grown as they will be fresher. When you bite into the burger, you should feel an explosion fo different flavors and texture in your mouth. Crispy cabbages and lettuce leaves, juicy cucumbers, tomatoes and bell peppers are just the right fillings that can over your patties.2
5. A 3-Ingredient Sauce Is A Must
Many vegetarians swear by this recipe of burger sauce and all it needs is just 3 ingredients.
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise/mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon or more Sriracha/ hot sauce of your choice
- 2 teaspoon mustard
Mix everything well in a bowl and pour lavishly over your burger patties and serve it along with the burger as a dip. It’s definitely going to be crowd favorite at parties.
Recipe For A Lip-Smacking Beet Burger
Here’s a wonderful way to make a nutritious and delicious vegetable burger that even carnivores can’t resist. It’s vegan and gluten-free. The preparation can serve about 9 people.
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 large red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- One 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup finely grated raw beet
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts, crushed or ground
- A pinch of salt & pepper
- In a large skillet saute the onion in olive oil until they are soft on low flame.seasoning with a pinch each salt and pepper.
- Add a pinch each salt and pepper and then saute the mushrooms along with the onions for another 3 minutes.
- Mash the black beans in a bowl and add it to the hot skillet. Make sure to turn off the heat before adding the mashed beans.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the quinoa, beets, spices, walnuts and knead well. You can add a tablespoon of sriracha sauce mentioned above for added flavor.
- Make the mix into 8—9 thin patties and refrigerate it while your oven preheats to 375 degrees F.
- Heat for patties in the oven for 30 minutes and then remove them.
- Place on a well-oiled skillet and grill them well for 5 minutes on both sides.
- Serve them on buns with the toppings of your choice.
Try this recipe and serve it at the next brunch or party at home. You would have to keep some time apart to give away the recipe of this delicious burger to your guests.
|↑1||Newman, Marie John. The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes. Sep-2017|
|↑2||Volger, Lukas.Veggie Burgers Every Which Way: Fresh, Flavorful and Healthy Vegan and Vegetarian Burgers – Plus Toppings, Sides, Buns and More. Experiment LLC, 2010|