No matter what fashion trends are ruling the runway this season, there is one pleasing accessory that always remains in fashion – a white, brightening smile.
However, the sad truth is that as we get older, we adopt more adult habits such as drinking an excess amount of caffeine and/or alcohol, munching on junk food, smoking regularly, and more. No matter how many times we brush our teeth, we never attain the teeth color we desire, which often prompts us to visit the dentist.
More than 70% of Americans spend approximately $1.4 billion on teeth whitening (bleaching) dental services where half of them invest 1/3 of their incomes on over-the-counter teeth whitening products to achieve a whiter shade.
The number is huge and so is the popularity of teeth whitening dental services. But what most are not aware of is that there are various natural ways of whitening your teeth that do not require you to spend tons of money.
Here are some tried and tested remedies to help you get rid of that dark teeth color and achieve your brightest smile ever.
1. Baking Soda And Hydrogen Peroxide
Baking soda is an amazing household ingredient that has many uses from unclogging kitchen drains to cleaning patio furniture. It is actually a versatile substance that also works great as a natural teeth whitener.
- Add 1 tablespoon of baking soda to 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide.
- Make a fine paste.
- Rub this paste on your teeth with a toothbrush and rinse it off.
Remember, use this paste only once a week since it can wear off your teeth enamel, which does not usually grow back.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
This popular and effective ingredient works as a mouth gum cleaner that also removes stains. However, for best results, you need to use this continuously for a month.
- Dip a cloth in the vinegar and rub it on your teeth.
- Let it sit for 2–5 minutes and wash it off with normal water.
- After cleaning your teeth this way, brush your teeth with a regular toothbrush as you do every day.
3. Lemon Rind Or Orange Peel
Lemon and orange have antibacterial and immune-boosting powers. However, since both are acidic in nature, you cannot use them directly on your teeth, as you may destroy your teeth enamel.
Instead of using the juices, lemon rind or orange peel will do the trick of whitening your teeth. Use this method just once a week to be on the safer side.
4. Eat Detergent Foods
There are basically two types of foods available – fatty foods and detergents foods. While fatty foods are unhealthy to not just our body but also our teeth, the crunchy texture of detergent foods is beneficial for the teeth. Such foods play a crucial role in preventing teeth darkening and decay.
Some of the popular detergent foods are given here:
For best results, make one of these detergent foods your last food of the day if you will not brush your teeth right after consuming it.
5. Oil Pulling
Oil pulling is a great technique to remove stains, improve oral health, and have whiter teeth. The best oil to use for this technique is coconut oil, which is a natural teeth whitener.
There are various ways to use coconut to whiten your teeth:
- Take a tablespoon of coconut oil and put it directly in your mouth. Move it around in your mouth for 5–10 minutes and rinse it off.
- Or, you can also add a few drops of oil to your toothpaste and brush, or rub your teeth with a cloth dipped in the oil. Coconut oil is also great for gums because of its antimicrobial properties.
You probably know that activated charcoal is used to eliminate impurities from water. But did you know charcoal can also be used for whitening teeth as well?
Charcoal is a great at removing stains from your teeth.
- Mix some charcoal powder with your regular toothpaste and brush twice a day.
- You can also use burnt rosemary ashes or bread instead of charcoal.
Salt is an easily accessible ingredient that enhances the flavor of foods. But salt also acts as a great dental cleansing agent and whitening teeth. Salt basically refills the lost minerals and nutrients of teeth while helping them regain their natural whiteness.
You can either use salt as toothpaste to clean teeth or mix it with charcoal powder. Alternatively, mix it with baking soda and rub on your teeth to eliminate yellow stains.
Last but not the least, basil, an Indian herb, can be used to regain whiteness of the teeth and also fight many gum problems such as bleeding gums.
- Get some fresh basil leaves and leave them in direct sunlight.
- Once they are dry, make a powder and use it while brushing your teeth.
- Or, make a paste of fresh crushed basil leaves and mustard oil and apply on your teeth.
Can Teeth Whitening Be Harmful?
Apparently, a lot of people are going crazy about having whiter teeth and turning it into an addiction. Too much of anything is bad, and teething whitening is no exception.
According to Dentist Dr. Irwin Smigel, New York, there are people who are never satisfied. And regularly using teeth-whitening products can wear away the enamel of the teeth, turning them into gray or blue-gray.
The bottom line is that teeth-whitening methods or products should be used in moderation. And if you want to use any over-the-counter products, make sure you consult your dentist beforehand.