Has your menstrual cycle altered its usual pattern and appeared unannounced, either before or after the expected date? This need not be a reason to worry. It is also perfectly fine if your period decides to make a much longer or shorter stay. However, certain alarming signs of irregular periods require immediate medical attention.
Irregular Period Symptoms That Mean Trouble
Following are some signs of irregular periods that might indicate an underlying health issue. If you experience any of these, it might be time to visit the doctor.
- Heavy bleeding with clots and cramps
- Periods that last longer than a week or less than 2 days consistently for 2 or 3 cycles
- Consistent periods at intervals of less than 20 days for 2 or 3 cycles
- Missing periods or with intervals of more than 35 days
Causes Of Irregular Periods
Certain health issues and external factors can affect your normal menstrual pattern and disrupt the hormonal balance. These can be persistent mental stress, excessive physical exertion, uterine polyps-fibroids, thyroid disorders, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), long-term hormonal medications, menarche, menopause, pregnancy, or lactation.
If you notice any inconsistencies in your
Home Remedies For Irregular Periods
A wholesome diet with moderate exercise plays an important role in regulating hormone levels, managing stress, and maintaining normal physiological functions. Hence, follow an active lifestyle and include stress-release techniques like meditation, yoga, and yoga nidra. Apart from these, you can try the following simple home remedies to reduce the severity and duration of irregular period symptoms.
1. Black Sesame Seeds
This drink made of black sesame seeds can treat delayed and painful menstruation accompanied by cramps.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of black sesame seeds in 1 cup of water.
- Boil this on a medium flame till the quantity of the liquid reduces to ¼ cup.
- Dissolve ½ teaspoon of jaggery in this mixture.
- Strain and drink the potion once a day.
2. Gooseberry Juice
Gooseberry juice is known to reduce excessive bleeding along with a burning sensation and dizziness.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey to 10 ml of freshly squeezed gooseberry juice.
- Drink this thrice a day.
Eating yogurt and honey every day can reduce any excessive bleeding with cramps.
- Add a pinch of rock salt and 1 teaspoon of honey to 1 teaspoon of yogurt.
- Eat this thrice a day.
4. Vegetables And Fruits
Certain vegetables and fruits are good for regulating your monthly cycles. These include the following:
- Vegetables like carrot, drumstick, beetroot, bitter gourd, broccoli, spinach, and radish
- Fruits like raw papaya, apple, and pineapple
Drinking carrot, pineapple, or sugarcane juice reduces general debility, increases hemoglobin levels, nourishes the tissues, and induces menstruation.
5. Fennel And Carom Seeds
Fennel and carom seeds provide instant relief from menstrual cramps.
- Mix ½ teaspoon fennel seeds with ¼ teaspoon carom seeds.
- Chew the mixture and swallow the extracted juice.
6. Coriander And Mint Leaves
A mixture made of coriander and mint leaves can increase your hemoglobin levels, promote menstruation, and regulate the menstrual cycle.
- Make a paste (like a chutney) of coriander and mint leaves seasoned with ginger, asafetida, turmeric, cumin seeds, and salt for taste.
- Eat this on a regular basis.
7. Coriander Seeds
Dhanyaka hima, a drink made with coriander seeds, acts as a coolant and provides relief from excessive bleeding and
- Soak 2 tablespoons of coriander seed overnight in ½ liter water.
- Strain and drink it throughout the day.
8. Dry Fruits For Balanced Hormones
Regularly snacking on a handful of mixed dry fruits like figs, raisins, apricots, walnuts, almonds, and peanuts with a cup of milk is beneficial for general fitness and, consequently, hormonal levels.
Ayurveda addresses menstrual issues primarily under Yonivyapad and Artav dushti. The common approach to treat menstrual issues is to set the digestion in order, clear the toxins, and regulate the doshas’ inherent downward motion, specifically that of the Apana Vata. Herbs like shatavari, ashwagandha, guduchi, sharpunkha, ashoka, and triphala and panchakarma treatment like basti and uttar basti are adopted for nourishing and rejuvenating the tissues – mainly rasa, rakta and shukra dhatu (plasma, blood, and reproductive tissues).
*Yonivyapad – Gynecological diseases specifically related to uterovaginal/cervical disorders
*Artavvahastrotas dushti – Pathology of the reproductive tissues channeling menstrual flow
*Apana Vata – Vata (V-Dosha) localized in the large intestine and the lower portion of the body below the umbilicus
*Basti – Medicated decoction or oil is
*Uttar Basti – Medicated decoction or oil is introduced in the urinary or genitourinary tracts