Skin problems are common but using commercial products to fix them is a risk you are taking. They contain harmful chemicals that can have adverse effects on your skin and health in the long run. But, using natural ingredients can give you better results at a fraction of the cost. Unless you are allergic to a specific ingredient, these homemade remedies don’t have side effects and can be made based on your requirements.
Why let these beauty products burn a hole in your pocket when you can make your own products at home? Here are 7 natural substitutes for beauty products that are easy to make.
1. Natural Moisturizer
Coconut oil is an excellent moisturizer that can even treat cold sores. As it contains lauric acid and possesses antimicrobial and antifungal properties, it can kill acne-causing bacteria, thereby helping you get smooth skin.1
How To Use
- Apply a few drops of coconut oil to your skin and massage it to hydrate it.
- To prevent the skin from becoming greasy, avoid using too much oil.
You can also use coconut oil as a makeup remover.
- Apply some on a cotton ball and remove the layers.
- It is especially good to remove eye makeup as coconut oil will not irritate your eyes.
2. Natural Perfume
Although perfumes may make you smell great, they contain several chemicals that can harm your skin and health. Using perfumes made of glycerin is safer as it is made from natural sources. What’s more? You can also experiment and make your own unique fragrance, which lasts for a long time.
- 10 drops of essential oil
- 5–6 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon glycerin
- In a bowl, thoroughly mix all the ingredients.
- Now, pour it into an empty spray bottle and use it whenever you head out.
3. Natural Wax
If you have sensitive skin, you know the pain of skin irritation and rashes right after your wax. While one problem goes away, the other one is right there! Using sugar and lemon to wax causes less trauma to your skin and the risk of burning is considerably reduced. It also removes dead skin cells and there is no problem of removing the leftover wax from the skin.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a pan, mix all the ingredients and heat them till the mixture looks golden-brown in color. This may take about 10 minutes.
- Pour it into a bowl and let the mixture cool down.
- With a popsicle stick or spatula, apply it to your skin and gently pull in the direction of hair growth.
- Rinse with water and pat dry.
4. Natural Teeth Whitener
Teeth whiteners are used to remove stains from your teeth and make them whiter. However, some teeth whiteners contain chemicals that may make your teeth sensitive.2 But, using baking soda is an effective way to whiten your teeth as it helps to remove the plaque build-up and discolorations on the surface of your teeth. However, it cannot be used as a substitute for toothpaste as it does not kill bacteria.
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- ½ tablespoon lime juice
- Form a paste by mixing baking soda and lemon juice.
- Apply this mixture to your teeth and let it sit for about 2 minutes.
- Rinse it off with water.
5. Natural Face Scrub
Sugar and coconut oil scrub is a good exfoliator and also cleans your pores. Its humectant properties help to preserve your skin’s moisture, making it smooth and soft.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- Combine coconut oil and sugar in a bowl and stir it well.
- Take some scrub and apply it to the skin.
- Gently rub it in circular motions for a minute and rinse it with warm water.
6. Natural Dry Shampoo
Using dry shampoo is a great way to save time. Using cornstarch on a busy day can leave your hair clean and oil-free without harming it.
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 3 drops of essential oil (optional)
- Mix cornstarch and essential oil (if required) and dust it on your scalp.
- Wait for 5–6 minutes for it to absorb all the moisture.
- Now, use a brush to remove the excess powder for oil-free hair.
7. Natural Face pack
Turmeric has a wide range of benefits for your skin as it contains curcumin, which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.3 It makes your skin glow, reduces acne, and can slow down the skin’s aging. Lemon juice makes the skin brighter and also lightens it. While gram flour removes dead skin cells, milk helps to moisturize the skin.
- 2 tablespoons gram flour
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream
- ¼ tablespoon turmeric
- 2 drops of lemon juice
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and stir well to form a smooth paste.
- Apply it on your face and leave it to dry for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cool water.
Note: Before you use these natural products, do a patch test on your wrist to ensure that you are not sensitive to any of the ingredients.
|↑1||DebMandal, Manisha, and Shyamapada Mandal. “Coconut (Cocos nucifera L.: Arecaceae): in health promotion and disease prevention.” Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine 4, no. 3 (2011): 241-247.|
|↑2||Statement on the Safety and Effectiveness of Tooth Whitening Products. Amercian Dental Association.|
|↑3||Vaughn, Alexandra R., Amy Branum, and Raja K. Sivamani. “Effects of turmeric (Curcuma longa) on skin health: A systematic review of the clinical evidence.” Phytotherapy Research 30, no. 8 (2016): 1243-1264.|