The human body is composed of pure energy as is everything in the universe. Traditional Indian energy healers believe that the underlying cause of excess weight gain stems from energy imbalances within our thyroid and reproductive glands.
Reducing calorie intake and increasing exercise may help to reduce our fat stores temporarily, but it does not address the root cause of the problem.
Our body and mind are intricately connected, therefore to effectively heal our energy imbalances we are required to care for ourselves holistically. Re-connecting with nature’s healing therapies allows us to cleanse, balance and empower our energies to instill physical, mental and emotional well-being.
Further ancient Indian practices to heal the underlying cause of excess weight include:
Ayurvedic Massage Therapy
Ayurvedic massage therapy is the traditional Indian holistic practice of massaging the body using a wide range of techniques with specific herb-infused warm oils to strengthen and detoxify the organs, glands, muscles, tissues and so forth.
The regular practice of self-massage restores the endocrine system, calms the nervous system, boosts the immune system, releases emotional pain, improves oxygenation and rejuvenates the bodily tissues.
Traditionally, ayurvedic massage therapy was applied for up to one month each year to reduce the effects of aging within the body and mind and increase longevity.
To apply self-massage:
- Gently warm 50 ml of organic ghee.
- Add five drops of essential oil and allow them to infuse.
- Place one teaspoon of the ghee/essential oil mix into the palms of the hands.
- Start the massage on the soles of the feet.
- Gently massage the entire body including the head for ten to twenty minutes, preferably in the evening.
- Allow the ghee/essential oil mix to remain on the skin overnight.
- Wash in the morning.
- Repeat the following evening, for up to one month.
If applying a daily full body massage is not practical, an abdominal massage can be very effective in activating sluggish digestive organs and calming the nerves.
- Infuse 10 ml of warm organic ghee with two drops of essential oil.
- Apply to the entire abdominal area and middle back, for ten minutes in the evening.
Traditional ayurvedic oils used to assist in releasing excess weight include:
- Mustard essential oil increases the body’s ability to burn fat.
- Black pepper essential oil reduces over-eating and food addiction.
- Cinnamon essential oil reduces the body’s ability to store fat deposits.
- Sandalwood essential oil calms stress and anxiety to relieve emotional eating.
Ayurvedic Barefoot Walking Therapy
Ayurvedic barefoot walking therapy is the traditional Indian holistic practice of walking on the natural earth, barefoot. Within the earth there lies a powerful and unique energy source that we can draw upon through barefoot walking.
The earth is composed of minerals and the human body is mineral in essence, therefore our body’s energies resonate harmoniously with the earth’s energies. The earth’s energy is greater than that of our body, and this enables it to be naturally absorbed through the soles of our feet to balance and strengthen our natural energy rhythms.
Traditionally, humans were aware of the therapeutic benefits of connecting their body with the earth’s surface; sleeping and sitting on natural animal skins and walking barefoot.
Sleeping outdoors during the summer on a natural fiber placed directly on the bare earth, grass or sand has been described as charging the entire being with the vital healing force of the universe. Sleep with the top of your head pointing southwards and your feet pointing northwards, as the flow of energy throughout the earth affects the body’s magnetic field.
If sleeping outdoors is not practical, simply walking barefoot on the bare earth for thirty minutes each day can assist in discharging the accumulation of harmful free radicals and electromagnetic pollution, and empower the immune and endocrine system.
Chromo therapy is the traditional Indian holistic practice of applying specific colors to parts of the body, by various methods to heal energy imbalances. The sun is comprised of seven colors, each of which possesses its own unique energy vibration and carries its own healing property.
Color can be absorbed by the body through our chakras, crystals, water or visualization to restore harmony by correcting physical, mental and emotional imbalances.
Traditionally, the sun was worshiped for its ability to provide the necessary healing energy required by the body to treat and prevent disease, due to its abundant and unlimited source of solar energy.
The color associated with releasing excess weight is yellow. Yellow resonates with our solar plexus chakra, located in the upper abdomen. The solar plexus chakra governs the digestive organs, enhances personal empowerment, self-discipline and will power. A balanced solar plexus chakra enables us to proceed with life confidently and assertively.
The traditional method of absorbing the color yellow:
- Place a yellow glass in the sunlight in such a way that the sun’s rays are absorbed by the glass and fall on to your solar plexus area.
- The area should be unclothed and free of sunscreen.
- Ensure the rest of your body is kept warm.
- Absorb the concentrated source of yellow colored rays for fifteen minutes in the morning sun and fifteen minutes in the evening sun.
- Practice for six weeks.
Healing Visualization Therapy
Healing visualization therapy is a form of traditional guided meditation. Our body and mind are intricately connected therefore our thoughts have a direct influence on our physical body. Creating positive images of healing within our mental body allows our emotional body to respond by becoming receptive to the healing, which subsequently initiates the healing process in the physical body.
By using the power of our mind to envision our healing process, we are disciplining our nervous system to react in a positive way, which results in the desired outcome.
Traditionally, healing visualization therapy was practiced through daily prayer.
The following healing visualization to assist in releasing excess weight can be memorized, recorded or recited by a partner.
- Practice morning and evening for six weeks.
- Lie down comfortably, close your eyes and visualize the color yellow.
- See the color yellow as warm rays of bright yellow sunshine.
- Sense the healing vibration within the warm yellow rays of nature’s sun.
- Allow your body to gently absorb the warm yellow healing rays of nature’s sun.
- Feel the warm yellow healing rays resonating with your entire being.
- You feel calm and relaxed.
- Visualize your body being nourished by the warm yellow healing rays.
- Visualize your mind being comforted by the warm yellow healing rays.
- Visualize your emotions being embraced by the warm yellow healing rays.
- Bring your awareness to your heart.
- Release any resistance and trust in your body’s innate capacity to self-heal.
- Visualize your heart energies being illuminated by the warm yellow healing rays.
- The warm yellow healing rays instill feelings of self-love and self-approval within your heart.
- You feel safe and protected.
- Release any further resistance and visualize your heart transporting the feelings of self-love and self-approval throughout your entire being.
- The feelings of self-love and self-approval dissolve any physical, mental and emotional imbalances.
- You feel empowered.
- As you open your eyes gently, sense yourself emerging as a bright, beautiful and vibrant being.
Re-connecting with the ancient Indian wisdom of nature’s healing therapies empowers us to detach from our past limited beliefs and release our negative energies of fear, self-doubt and insecurity.
We can bring our awareness to the present moment and re-unite with our true selves, to embrace our positive energies of confidence, courage and fearlessness, to be what we desire to be and create the life that we aspire to live, to manifest our heartfelt happiness and peace of mind.