There are many health benefits to massage therapy. One of the main benefits of massage is to release stress physically and mentally. Physically your muscles become tense in response to stress. If you are under stress very often or for a long period time, your muscles get stuck in the contracted position.
Massage Releases Stress
Massage physically helps to release the tight muscles from the contracted state to relaxed state. As a result, you will be relieved from physical pain and limited range of motion. Massage also helps to release stress mentally. Massage is known to reduce the level of stress hormone cortisol, increase the release of pleasure hormone dopamine and mood-enhancing happy hormone serotonin in your system.
Massage also helps to release stress mentally. Massage is known to reduce the level of stress hormone cortisol, increase the release of pleasure hormone dopamine and mood-enhancing happy hormone serotonin in your system. It also helps to increase pain-reducing hormone endorphins to help alleviate the physical pain.
Usually, you go to a spa or massage establishment to get a massage done by trained professionals. However, massage is just like cooking – just as you go to a high-end restaurant for a meal prepared by a 4-star chef, go to a fast food place, or prepare a homemade meal, go to a high-end spa and get a massage by a licensed massage therapist, you can go to a less expensive massage place, or massage your loved ones yourself at home.
People often squirm at the idea of giving massage as it would hurt the hands and fingers. You think it is hard. I assure you that it’s only because you haven’t learned the right techniques and tricks on how to go about it.
You are born with your own massage tools. There are ways to give a good massage easily and effectively without hurting your thumb, fingers, and hands.
Also, you may think that you have to give a massage for a long time. While it’s nice to receive an hour-long massage, giving a massage at home doesn’t have to be that long. It can only be for a few minutes.
Many times, I have seen people with totally relaxed “massage face” with their eyes already glazed over after 3-5 minutes of quick massage.
In Japan, there is an old culture of kids tapping the shoulders of their parents and grandparents to show love and respect. Who doesn’t enjoy a heartfelt caring touch by your loved ones?
In this sense, massaging at home is more of an expression of love than giving a professional grade massage. You can leave the occasional long, high-quality massage to the professional massage therapists.
While you can go all out to create a nice spa environment at home, you don’t need a massage table set up with sheets, massage oil, or disrobe in order to have a quick massage at home. You can sit or stand behind the receiver to massage over the clothes.
For starters, let’s give a nice relaxing head massage.
- Sit or stand behind the receiver so that you can hold the receiver’s head comfortably in front of you with your armpit closed.
- Slowly glide your fingertips over the scalp all over the receiver’s head for 30 seconds.
- Curl your fingers for more sensations.
- You can draw straight lines, rays, small circles, large circles, etc.
- Be creative and have fun with it.
- Your goal is to cover every square inch of the receiver’s head.
- Instead of just using your fingers move your torso to move your fingers and save your fingers.
- Then slowly circle the receiver’s temples with your fingertips 30 times.
- Use three fingers (index, middle and ring fingers) to cover more surface.
- Check in for the pressure and adjust according to the receiver’s feedback.
For best results,
- I recommend setting a structure and practice the massage routine on a regular basis.
- Set to practice every day or every alternate day to give and receive massage before you go to bed.
- Keep each massage short and sweet to few minutes so that you don’t dread giving a massage.
- It will still help release stress rather than accumulating it little by little over time to the out of control level.
- You can then add techniques and extend time if you want.
There are various massage tools available if you don’t want to use your hands. For couples, you are welcome to use this ritual as an opportunity to connect with your partner on a regular basis.