If you want to add flavor to your food, you’re likely to reach for lemon, pepper, or salt. Besides making your food tasty, these ingredients also have abundant health benefits. Read on to know why they’re great for you and how you can use them to treat common ailments.
Health Benefits Of Lemon
Apart from giving your food a great tangy flavor, lemon also comes with abundant health benefits.
- Lemon is rich in vitamin C, which is an antioxidant. Antioxidants eliminate molecules called free radicals, which cause damage to your cells and DNA. Thanks to its high antioxidant levels, lemon may reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke and help in maintaining blood pressure.1
- Like black pepper, lemon is a great digestive aid too. It allows food to move easily through your digestive system, preventing constipation. It may also aid weight loss thanks to its abundant antioxidants.
- The antioxidant property of lemon
Health Benefits Of Pepper
Black pepper is the most commonly used type of pepper. Besides giving your food that burst of spice, it is also popular in Ayurveda for its abundant medicinal properties.2
- Its antibacterial properties make it a great remedy for respiratory conditions like a sore throat, cough, cold, sinus, and asthma.
- Black pepper stimulates digestive enzymes, making it a fantastic digestive aid. It can also strengthen your metabolism and help with weight loss.
- Other benefits include its ability to lower high blood pressure, improve brain health, and prevent cancer.
- It also helps keep your teeth strong and gives you healthy hair.
Health Benefits Of Salt
Sodium chloride, commonly called salt, is important for your body to function well. If you’re looking to gain maximum benefit, use sea salt instead of table salt in your food. The recommended daily intake of salt for an adult is 6 g.3
- Salt is a source of sodium,
- Adequate salt intake is crucial for proper digestion. Salt contains chloride, which is important for the production of hydrochloric acid in the stomach.
- Sea salt, particularly, is a great source of trace minerals, which are important for good health.
Here are 10 ailments that you can treat at home using lemon, pepper, or salt.
10 Common Ailments You Can Treat With Lemon, Pepper, And Salt
1. Common Cold
Try this lemon honey tea for relief from common cold.
- Add some freshly squeezed lemon juice to a cup of boiled water with the pulp.
- Allow the pulp to steep for about 10 minutes. Then, add 1 tsp of honey.
2. Stuffy Nose
A blocked nose can be quite troublesome. Here is a great home remedy to clear it right out.
- Take black pepper, cinnamon, cumin, and cardamom seeds in equal amounts.
- Grind them thoroughly till you get a powder.
- Inhale this powder to get rid of the stuffiness.
Although this will make you want to sneeze uncontrollably, it is sure to relieve you of your stuffy nose.
Here’s a simple remedy for stopping a nosebleed quickly at home.
- Squeeze a few drops of lemon juice on a cotton ball and place it in your nostril.
- Keep your head tilted slightly forward for a while. The bleeding will stop in a short while.
4. Sore Throat
Say goodbye to that scratchy throat with this lemon juice, pepper, and salt remedy. This remedy also works great when you have a really bad cough.
- Add 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1/2 tsp black pepper, and 1 tsp sea salt to a glass of warm water.
- Stir thoroughly and gargle with this solution a few times every day for relief.
Prevent asthma attacks with this amazing home remedy.
- Boil some water and add some pepper, cloves, and basil leaves to it.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes and strain this tea-like mixture.
- Add 2 tbsp honey and allow it to cool. You can also add some milk to it for better taste.
- Drink this concoction to ward off asthma attacks.
Try this great lemon
- Add 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice and 1 tsp black pepper to a glass of warm water.
- Sip on this drink to ease your symptoms.
7. Weight Loss
Looking to lose those extra pounds? No problem. This great homemade drink with pepper, lemon juice, and honey can aid the process.
- Add 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, 2 tbsp lemon juice, and 1 tbsp honey to a glass of warm water.
- Stir thoroughly and drink.
- One glass of this drink every day can help you lose weight.
Is the stinging pain in your tooth driving you crazy? Try this great home remedy with pepper and clove oil for relief.
- Mix 1/2 tsp each of ground pepper and clove oil.
- Apply this
9. Canker Sores
This home remedy will get rid of painful sores in your mouth.
- Add 1 tbsp rock salt to a cup of warm water.
- Rinse your mouth with this solution after every meal for relief.
Gallstones are tiny crystals that form as a result of chemical imbalances in your gall bladder. They can be painful to deal with and, most often, require surgery. Here is a simple home remedy that may dissolve the crystals without surgery.
- Mix 3 parts of olive oil with 1 part each of lemon and black pepper and drink the mixture.
- Regularly drinking this mixture is said to dissolve gallstones over a period of time.
Try these simple but
|↑1||Gale, Catharine R., Christopher N. Martyn, Paul D. Winter, and Cyrus Cooper. “Vitamin C and risk of death from stroke and coronary heart disease in cohort of elderly people.” Bmj 310, no. 6994 (1995): 1563-1566.|
|↑2||11 Black Pepper Health Benefits Not Just About The Spice. Curejoy.|
|↑3||How much salt is good for me? NHS Choices.|
|↑4||Fluid and Electrolyte Balance. Medline Plus.|