A dark neck is a common problem faced all around the world. Dark patches and skin discoloration on the neck is caused by a skin pigmentation disorder called acanthosis nigricans. However, a dark neck might be the result of excessive exposure to sun and aging as well. It has been noticed that a dark neck is more prevalent among people who are obese and those who are diabetic.
A dark neck can be naturally treated with the help of certain natural ingredients, lemon being the most common and effective one. Lemon has natural bleaching properties due to the presence of citric acid and helps in gradual lightening of the skin tone. Lemon also contains Vitamin C which is a very powerful antioxidant and protects the skin from free radical damage. Vitamin C is also known to boost the collagen production and promote the renewal of skin cells. The dark patches and skin discoloration can also be cured with lemon due to its exfoliating and cleansing properties that help in breaking down the layers of dead skin cells and remove them.
Ways To Use
Lemon For A Dark Neck
There are several ways to reduce the dark discoloration on the neck with lemon. You can follow any of the remedies mentioned below.
1. Cut a lemon into 2 halves and squeeze the juice out from one half.
2. Soak a cotton ball in the lemon juice.
3. Apply the soaked cotton ball all over the neck and especially, over the darkened areas.
4. Leave it on for the next 15 minutes, and then, wash it off with cool water. Pat dry.
5. Repeat this application at least 2-3 times every day.
6. As an alternate method, you may also rub a slice of lemon on the neck for a minute and let the juice dry for 15 minutes. After rinsing off with water, pat dry.
Note: If you have sensitive skin, dilute the lemon juice by mixing it with equal parts of water.
Lemon And Sugar Scrub
Sugar is known to contain glycolic acid which is a type of alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that is not only helpful to lighten dark skin but also, to treat sunburned skin. Sugar granules also remove any accumulated dead skin cells.
1. Take a bowl and put 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in it.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar to it and stir well.
3. Apply this mixture on the neck and massage your neck with your fingertips for 8 to 10 minutes.
4. Leave the mixture on for another 15 minutes. Wash it off with water and pat dry.
5. Repeat this method at least 3 to 4 times in a week.
Lemon And Honey
Honey contains enzymes that help in treating sunburns and also,
1. Take 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in a bowl.
2. Add 1 teaspoon honey to it and mix well.
3. Soak a cotton ball in the mixture and rub it all over the neck.
4. Leave it on for the next 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Wash it off with water and pat dry.
6. Repeat this procedure once daily.
Lemon And Cucumber
Cucumber soothes and heals damaged skin cells and repairs any sunburned or inflamed skin. It also acts as a mild cleanser for dead skin cells and treats skin discoloration effectively.
1. Take a medium sized cucumber and cut it into two halves.
2. Take a bowl and grate one half of the cucumber.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to the grated cucumber and mix well.
4. Apply the mixture on the neck and gently massage for 5 minutes.
5. Leave the mixture
6. Rinse it off with water and pat dry.
7. Repeat this remedy once daily.
Lemon And Olive Oil
Olive oil is rich in vitamin E, polyphenols, and phytosterols that act as antioxidants and help in treating sun-damaged skin. As a result, it lightens skin discoloration and dark patches effectively.
1. Take 1 tablespoon each of extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice in a bowl. Stir well.
2. Take a cotton ball and soak it in the mixture.
3. Apply it all over the neck and massage with your fingertips for 5 minutes.
4. Leave it on for the next 15 to 20 minutes and wash it off with lukewarm water. Pat dry.
5. Repeat this procedure once daily until the discoloration disappears.
With these natural remedies, you can easily lighten the skin tone of your neck and become more confident.