Warts can crop up anywhere on the body, especially the hands, feet and around genital areas. These are often caused by human papillomavirus (HPV) that enters the body through bruises, cuts, and scratches. They are not cancerous but can look unappealing.
There’ s no need to fret and fume every time a wart appears on the body. Simple home remedies that involve lemon juice or its essential oil can get rid of them easily.
Lemon Juice Breaks Warts Down
Filled with citric acid, lemon juice has the ability to cause the destruction of warts at a cellular level. Most warts appear as raised projections on the skin. Regular application of lemon juice dehydrates the wart, removes its upper cell layers and the vitamin C in it destroys HPV from multiplying. This combined effect eventually helps the wart to resolve and detach from the skin.1
Home Remedies For Warts Using Lemon Juice
Try these hassle-free home remedies with lemon juice to get rid of warts.
1. Lemon Juice Dab
Depending on which part of the body the wart has appeared, you can dab it with a cotton ball soaked in lemon juice. This remedy should be done for at least 15 minutes daily for a period of 2 weeks.
- Soak a sterile cotton ball with freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Dab it onto the wart for 15 minutes at least.
- Do it multiple times in a day for 15 days.
The same can be done using lemon oil instead of lemon juice if the latter isn’t available.
2. Vinegar-Soaked Lemon Peel Pack
The white pith of lemon peel is the part that has an abundance of vitamin C. You can enhance its potency by soaking it in organic vinegar or apple cider vinegar for a few days too.
- Take a small piece of the vinegar-soaked lemon peel. Make sure it can cover the wart entirely.
- Place it over the wart with the white pith touching the wart.
- Apply a band aid or duct tape and leave it on overnight.
- Remove it in the morning and repeat it for 15 minutes.
3. Lemon And Baking Soda Paste
Baking soda is excellent at clearing most skin problems including warts. The cumulative anti-inflammatory effect of both baking soda and lemon juice helps to get rid of the wart.
- Mix 2 tbsps of lemon juice along with a tablespoon of baking soda in a bowl.
- Apply this paste on the wart and leave it on for at least 15 minutes.
- Wash it off after it dries out.
- Repeat this twice every day for the next 15 days.
4. Lemon Juice With Garlic Balm
The wonderful antimicrobial and antiseptic properties of garlic have been documented for ages. This is why crushed garlic when mixed with lemon juice can be a potent ointment against warts.
- Crush 5 garlic cloves and mix it with a tablespoon of lemon juice with it.
- Apply this mixture on warts.
- Leave it on for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
5. Tea Tree Oil And Lemon Juice Mix
Tea tree oil is one of the best essential oils known for its excellent antiviral properties. When mixed with lemon juice it can even speed up healing of the skin.
- Mix a tablespoon each of lemon juice and water in a bowl.
- Add 5 to 8 drops of tea tree essential oil to this mixture.
- Soak a cotton ball in it and dab it on the wart for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Do this daily for the next 15 days until the wart falls off.
6. Lemon Juice And Castor Oil Mix
Ricinoleic acid in castor oil is not only a natural purgative but also a potent antimicrobial agent. Applying lemon juice and castor oil mix has been proven to be effective against warts.
- Stir a spoonful of castor oil with lemon juice in a bowl.
- Apply it on the warts multiple times in a day.
- Wait for the oil to soak in.
- Repeat the process daily for 2 weeks.
7. Aloe Vera And Lemon Juice Gel
Aloe gel is renowned for its astringent and antipruritic effects. Lemon juice and aloe can be very useful in removing warts from the skin.
- To aloe gel add a tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Mix it together and apply it on the wart.
- Leave it on the wart to dry.
- Repeat the procedure until the wart heals.
8. Basil and Lemon Juice Paste
Basil leaves when crushed release powerful antioxidants and antiviral agents that help in wart removal.
- Make a paste out of crushed basil leaves (5 to 6 in number) and 1 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Apply this paste on warts and leave it until it dries away.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day and the wart will detach from your skin.
When you are using the above remedies for wart removal, do it consistently for at least a fortnight for best results.2
|↑1||Vali, Anahita, and Faezeh Ferdowsi. “Evaluation of the efficacy of 50% citric acid solution in plane wart treatment.” Indian Journal of Dermatology 52, no. 2 (2007): 96.|
|↑2||Romeilah, Ramy M., Sayed A. Fayed, and Ghada I. Mahmoud. “Chemical compositions, antiviral and antioxidant activities of seven essential oils.” J Appl Sci Res 6, no. 1 (2010): 50-62.|