Sleep talking is normal and medically, it is harmless. But, the embarrassment of being a sleep talker may make you feel uncomfortable. Because of your sleep talking, you may hesitate to share your room with others, thinking of the disturbance you may create. In the process, you may become a laughing stock among your friends. Don’t panic, there are ways to stop sleep talking.
Various factors contribute to sleep talking. And the best preventive measure is to treat these causes. So, if you feel your sleep talk is getting out of control, take these steps to avoid it.
1. Schedule Your Sleep
Are you a sleep-deprived person? The primary reason for your sleep talking can be traced back to that. According to American Psychological Association, every healthy individual needs an average of eight hours of sleep a night.1 Adopt a regular sleep pattern as it helps you improve your sleep duration. Moreover, practice a proper sleep hygiene.2 Here are a few tips:3
- Your daytime nap should not go beyond 30 minutes.
- Exercise regularly as it improves your sleep quality. The effect of nighttime exercise will not be the same for everyone. So fix a time, which is best for you.
- Say no to stimulants such as coffee and cigarette close to bedtime. Also, stay away from heavy meals, citrus fruits, spicy food, and carbonated drinks as they may cause indigestion, disturbing your sleep.
- Make sure that you have adequate exposure to natural light during daytime – an important factor for a healthy sleep-wake cycle.
- Choose comfortable mattress and pillow and adjust the brightness in the room according to your requirement. Identify the disturbing factors in the room and make changes accordingly to create a peaceful sleep environment.
2. Limit Alcohol Intake
If you are an alcoholic, refraining from alcohol would be the best step to avoid sleep talking. Alcohol consumption can induce sleep disorders. As you consume alcohol before bedtime, its sleep-inducing effect may decrease and its disruptive effect may grow.4
3. Keep Stress At Bay
Sleep disorders are closely associated with excessive stress. Your sleep talking may get worse if you are stressed out. Master stress management techniques. Try these steps to reduce your stress.5
- Practice meditation for your emotional well-being.
- Identify factors that cause you stress and avoid it.
- Listen to music as it helps you relax.
- Seek help from family and friends if you cannot deal it alone.
- Do not hesitate to see a therapist if it gets tough for you.
4. Consult A Doctor
Troubled by the increasing severity of sleep talking? Then talk to your healthcare provider about it. Sometimes, sleep talking happens because of other disorders such as sleep apnea, confusion arousals, and rapid eye movement (REM) sleep behavior disorder. Certain medications also induce sleep talking. Your doctor will identify if there is any undiagnosed problem that causes sleep talking and will treat those underlying conditions.
Sleep talking is more frequent among kids. If your children sleep talk, do not disturb them. Sit beside them, ensuring they do not hurt themselves.6
As long as there is no threat to your day to day life, sleep talking should not trouble you. And to deal with the embarrassment, gift your room partners a set of earplugs, so that your talks will not wake them up.
|↑1||Why sleep is important. American Psychological Association.|
|↑2||Sleep Talking – Treatment. Sleep.org.|
|↑3||Sleep Hygiene. Sleep.org.|
|↑4||Alcohol Alert. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.|
|↑5||Sleep Disorders. Anxiety and Depression Association of America.|
|↑6||Sleep Problems. Michigan Medicine.|