Dull hair is a fairly common complaint these days. Hair that’s stripped of its natural oils will appear dull and lifeless. Living in extremely cold or dry weather, spending a lot of time in chlorinated water, washing your hair with chemical-laden shampoos, dying, straightening or perming your hair frequently can all contribute to the dryness of your hair.
Instead of looking for more chemicals to restore your hair’s vitality, it’s time to give Mother’s Nature’s very own wonder honey a chance at saving your hair. The humectant nature of honey helps to seal moisture in the hair thereby giving it a healthy glow. Here are 5 ways you can incorporate honey into your haircare routine to rejuvenate dull hair.
1. Honey And Yogurt Hair Mask
Both honey and yogurt are full of antioxidants that protect against the damage of hair follicles by free radicals. They are also good at restoring moisture in hair that appears dull and frizzy.
- 2 tablespoons of
- 4 tablespoons of yogurt
- Mix honey and yogurt well in a bowl.
- Apply this paste all over your hair with an applicator brush.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo.
2. Egg And Honey Hair Mask
Egg and egg whites have been used as a popular home remedy for boosting hair health for ages. Eggs are rich sources of proteins and vitamins that nourish the hair. When combined with honey, they thoroughly moisturize and hydrate the hair strands.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of coconut oil or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- 2 eggs
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and the oil together while slowly adding honey into it.
- Section your hair and apply the mix all over the scalp.
- Keep your hair covered with a shower cap or a towel for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo to reveal shiny and strong tresses.
3. Banana And Honey Hair Mask
Banana and honey are an amazing combo for bringing dull hair back to life. Bananas are rich in carbohydrates, vitamins, and potassium that protects hair against free radical damage. Honey is also loaded with antioxidants which enhances the action of bananas.1
- ½ cup of honey
- 2 ripe bananas
- Puree the bananas.
- Mix the honey and banana in a clean bowl.
- Apply it all over your hair and wait for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo.
- Do it twice a week for best results.
4. Honey For Chemically Treated Hair
If your hair is chemically treated with dyes or frequent hair styling procedure, you can apply honey to prevent it from breaking. All you have to do is apply honey all over the hair, from
5. Cinnamon And Honey Hair Pack
The sweet-smelling cinnamon is a great herbal remedy for hair growth. It has eugenol and cinnamaldehyde which has proven antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial infections of the scalp. This prevents the growth of dandruff which can make your hair dry. When mixed with honey, it supplements the antimicrobial actions of honey.3
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of any carrier oil like coconut or olive oil
- Blend all the ingredients
- Apply it all over the hair and scalp.
- Gently massage with your fingers to increase the blood flow to the scalp so that the hair follicles are invigorated from within.
- Wash it off after 20 minutes with a mild shampoo.
Try these home remedies at least twice a week and your hair will start to regain its original health and sheen with regular use.
|↑1, ↑2||Ediriweera, E. R. H. S. S., and N. Y. S. Premarathna. “Medicinal and cosmetic uses of bee’s honey–A review.” Ayu 33, no. 2 (2012): 178.|
|↑3||Rao, Pasupuleti Visweswara, and Siew Hua Gan. “Cinnamon: a multifaceted medicinal plant.” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2014 (2014).|