Exfoliating the skin is a necessary beauty routine one should follow. It gets rid of the dead skin and helps achieve an even tone. As we age, the skin-shedding routine changes, resulting in a dull, dry, and uneven skin tone. Homemade scrubs work wonders and help retain the softness and original complexion. They are convenient, easy to make, and all natural. So you can be sure you wouldn’t have any side effects from the unnecessary and harsh chemicals.
As the name suggests, the lemon-lavender sugar scrub is made up of sugar and essential oils of lemon and lavender. The core ingredients have the following skin benefits.
Skin Benefits Of Sugar
1. Exfoliates The Skin
Sugar is an excellent natural skin exfoliator. It gently removes the dead skin and dirt which usually clog the pores. Clogged pores are the main reason behind acne, blemishes, and other skin problems. Getting rid of them naturally, cleanses your skin and makes it soft and supple.
2. Retains Skin’s Natural Oil Balance
When your skin doesn’t produce oils naturally, it tends to become dry and flaky. Harsh weather and chemicals could be the main reasons why the oil balance has gone for a toss. Sugar has glycolic acid and alpha-hydroxy acid which help regain the natural oil balance.
3. Promotes Anti-aging Effect
The exfoliating property of sugar also makes it an effective anti-aging component. It protects the skin from toxins that deteriorate its quality and speed up the aging process. Regular usage of sugar promotes youthfulness to the skin.
Skin Benefits Of Lemon Essential Oil
1. Treats Blemishes, Acne, And Pigmentation
One ounce of lemon juice concentrate used in making essential oil contains 1.1 g of citric acid. This acidic component of lemons acts as a bleaching agent by lightening blemishes and pigmentation. The antibacterial properties further kill the bacteria causing acne.
2. Lightens Unwanted Facial Hair
As citric acid is a natural bleaching agent, it lightens the color of unwanted facial hair. Thank lemons for saving you from the harmful chemicals of harsh bleaching products or from the pain of getting your face waxed!
Additionally, it also wards off the excess oil, in case you have an oily skin. Fret not, it doesn’t affect the natural oil balance of the skin in any way.
Skin Benefits Of Lavender Essential Oil
1. Acts As A Toner
Lavender increases the blood circulation, ensuring your skin gets adequate oxygen and nutrients. This boosts the cell renewal process and tones your skin, making it firm and youthful.
2. Detoxifies The Skin
Our skin is exposed to a range of pollutants on a daily basis. Lavender oil has antibacterial and antioxidant properties which, together, detoxify the skin. They also prevent the growth of the bacteria on the skin, avoiding acne formation.
Homemade Lemon-lavender Sugar Scrub
- Granulated sugar, 1 cup
- Organic coconut oil, 4 tbsps
- Lemon and lavender essential oils, 10 drops each
- Purple or yellow liquid food color, 5 drops (optional)
- Take the organic coconut oil in a bowl and microwave it on high until it is completely melted. Coconut oil provides just the right moisture needed to give you a radiant skin.
- Now, add sugar and give it a thorough mix. If the mixture is too gooey, add some more sugar to adjust the consistency to that of a scrub.
- In case you choose to add the color, add and mix well one of the colors until it is consistent throughout the bowl.
- Add 10 drops each of lavender and lemon essential oils and give it a mix.
- Store this in an airtight glass jar. The scrub usually stays fresh for 2–3 weeks, when stored airtight.
Gently scoop out the quantity needed and exfoliate your face and body with this all-natural scrub. Using it twice a week is suggested to get a soft, dirt-free, and youthful skin.