Do you have to keep trimming your hair to prevent split ends? Can’t grow your hair long because of split ends? Your regular hair trimming appointments end here. No more dull and damaged hair with these home remedies.
Split ends are caused due to washing hair with hot water, overwashing your hair, detangling your hair in the wrong way, or due to excessive use of hair products. They can make your hair look dull, dry and lifeless.
Avocado, mayonnaise, eggs, milk, honey, oils are all common ingredients that can be used to moisturize your hair and repair the damage caused by chemicals, pollution, and heat treatments. Protein and vitamin-rich ingredients help to give your hair a natural shine while helping you get rid of split ends.
Here are 8 home remedies to treat split ends:
Eggs are rich in vitamins and protein, while the egg white is more beneficial as it contains most of the protein. They contain fatty acids that can help to restore your hair’s natural shine and reducing dryness.1 In addition to treating split ends, eggs can also help you make the roots of your hair stronger and thicker.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Mix all the ingredients together
- Apply the mixture specifically to the ends of your hair
- Leave it for 30 minutes and wash with shampoo
Also, you can simply beat eggs, mix it with some water and use it like a shampoo.
Papaya is rich in proteins that can help you treat split ends. It can also treat dull, brittle, and dry hair and make your hair smooth and shiny. Yogurt can condition your hair and remove dandruff too.
- 1/2 ripe papaya
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- Peel and deseed the papaya and blend it with yogurt to form a smooth mixture.
- Apply this mixture to your hair and leave it for 30 minutes
- Rinse with warm water and wash it with a mild shampoo
- Repeat this once a week
3. Hot Oil Treatment
Your hair lacks moisture when you have dull and dry hair with split ends. Hot oil treatment can help you restore your hair’s moisture, and treat split ends. You can use olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil or almond oil.
- 1/2 cup olive oil/coconut oil/castor oil/almond oil.
- Take some oil, depending on the length of your hair, and warm it up
- Apply this thoroughly to your hair, and gently massage
- Leave it in for 40-50 minutes and wash with a mild shampoo
- Repeat this once or twice a week
Mayonnaise is an effective remedy for split ends. The oil in mayonnaise conditions the hair, and the eggs help to moisturize and nourish the hair, thus preventing split ends. It can make your hair smooth and also treat dandruff.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Wet your hair and towel dry it
- Take some mayonnaise based on your hair length
- Apply it on your hair from tip to roots
- Leave it in for 30 minutes and shampoo with cold water
Banana is a natural conditioner. They are rich in vitamins and minerals that make them useful in repairing hair damage and moisturize hair, making it soft and free of split ends.
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup honey
- Mash the ripe banana and add honey to it
- Apply this mixture to your hair and leave it in for 30 minutes
- Rinse it off with water and then shampoo
6. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera contains vitamins and proteins that stimulate hair growth. Not only does aloe vera repair damage, but also protect your hair from further damage. It is an excellent remedy to treat split ends.2
- Aloe vera gel
- Take some aloe vera gel according to the length of your hair.
- Massage the gel into your scalp and hair
- Leave it for 20-30 minutes and shampoo your hair
7. Cream And Milk
Cream and milk are the best ingredients to keep your hair healthy and moisturize it, thus treating split ends. The proteins in milk promote repair and make your hair soft and smooth.
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- Mix cream and milk
- Wash your hair and apply this mixture to your hair
- Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and wash with shampoo
- Repeat this once every week
Avocado is rich in vitamins, minerals, and protein. It helps to repair damaged hair and moisturize it.3
- 1 avocado
- 3 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Mash 1 avocado and add honey and coconut milk to it.
- Apply this mixture on your hair and especially on split ends
- Leave it in for 30 minutes and wash it off
|↑1||Fletcher Tina. The Essential 5: How to Make Natural Products Using Only 5 Essential Oils Or Less. Tina Fletcher, 2010.|
|↑2||Bryant Orjanette. Nubia’s Guide to Going Natural: A Holistic Approach to Transitioning Your Hair. AuthorHouse, 2015.|
|↑3||Borba Scott-Vincent. Cooking Your Way to Gorgeous: Skin-Friendly Superfoods, Age-Reversing Recipes, and Fabulous Homemade Facials. Health Communications, Inc., 2013.|