Laryngitis is caused due to inflammation of vocal cords located in the larynx or the voice box. The voice box allows you to speak, shout, sing or whisper. Laryngitis causes the person loose their voice and become hoarse due to inflammation. The reasons can be — excessive strain on vocal chords, a viral or bacterial infection.
Here are 9 natural remedies for treating laryngitis and getting your voice back.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has antimicrobial properties that help fight infections. Here is how to consume it to cure laryngitis.
- Mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in half a cup of water. Add a tablespoon of honey to it. Mix well and drink the solution twice a day. To increase the effectiveness, add a pinch of cayenne pepper to it.
- You can even make a gargling solution by mixing a tablespoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water. Gargle several times day to get immediate relief.
2. Onion Syrup
Onion acts as a natural expectorant, promoting secretion of sputum that can reduce inflammation.
- Cut three to four medium sized onions, and simmer in four cups of water until it forms a thick syrup-like solution.
- Add five tablespoons of this syrup to a glass of warm water. Mix a tablespoon of honey and few drops of lemon juice. Sip the mixture slowly.
- Ginger has natural medicinal properties that can soothe the inflammation of mucus membranes in the larynx.
- Slice fresh garlic into thin pieces and boil in a covered pan of water for 10 minutes. Strain the liquid and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Add some lemon juice and honey and drink it several times a day.
4. Warm Salt Water
Add a pinch of salt in warm water and gargle with it several times a day. Warm salt water helps kill bacteria and reduce inflammation.
5. Lemon Juice
- Lemon juice is an antimicrobial and helps loosen the mucus.
- Squeeze a lemon in a glass of warm water.
- Add a pinch of sea salt or table salt and gargle with this solution several times a day.
Garlic is an excellent antimicrobial and a natural expectorant. Not many would prefer chewing a garlic clove due to its pungent taste. Here is how you can exude its benefits.
- Chop few garlic cloves and place them in a jar. Cover it with equal parts of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and distilled water.
- Shake the jar to mix the contents, and let it sit for about four hours.
- Add some honey to it before storing it in the fridge. Take 1 to 3 spoons of this syrup every 6 to 8 hours.
Honey helps in soothing irritation and inflammation in the throat. You can swallow some raw honey several times a day or make herbal tea mixing honey and lemon in a cup of hot water. Drink it once or twice a day.
8. Eucalyptus Oil
- Put few drops of eucalyptus oil in a pan of boiling water. Put a towel over your head and inhale the steam for 10 minutes. Follow twice daily.
- An antimicrobial, Eucalyptus oil is one of the best natural remedies to cure a sore throat.
9. Slippery Elm
Slippery elm when mixed with water forms a gel, which helps in relieving throat irritation and inflammation. Consume this gel several times a day to get relief from a sore throat.
Note: Slippery elm is not recommended for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
Usually, it takes 2 days to a week for recovering and getting back your voice. If the symptoms persist, consult your doctor immediately to keep it from becoming chronic.