Tailbone pain has a fancy name – coccydynia. This comes from the medical term for the tailbone, coccyx. Tailbone pain is caused by the inflammation of the coccyx and surrounding tissue. And whether mild or severe, it can be a bother. It makes it difficult for you to feel comfortable in any seated position. If the pain is severe, get help from a general practitioner. It goes without saying that if the pain is the result of an accident or injury, you must consult a doctor immediately.
The causes of tailbone pain include:1
- Poor sitting posture
- A hard fall, especially backward
- Accidental injury while playing contact sports
- Repeated stress on the area while cycling or rowing
- Obesity or overweight
- Age-related decline of the spine
- Cancer that has spread from other areas
For mild tailbone pain or coccydynia, there are yoga poses and home remedies that may help relieve the pain.
1. Change Your Posture
The most important way to reduce tailbone
- While sitting, do not slump backward with your neck forward into a C shape.
- Take frequent breaks and small walks.
- Sit on a soft chair or seat to reduce the pain.
- Sit on specially designed coccyx cushions to reduce the pressure on the tailbone, thereby reducing pain. These are readily available in pharmacies.
2. Use Warm And Cold Packs
Apply warm and cold packs to your tailbone. Warm packs include hot water bottles and microwaveable heating pads. Cold packs are available as gel-filled pads in pharmacies. The hot and cold treatment is safe if used correctly. Heat causes the blood vessels to dilate, bringing more blood to stimulate healing of damaged tissues. Cold
3. Wear Loose Clothes
Consider wearing loose-fitting clothes and avoid clothes like tight jeans or trousers that may put pressure on the tailbone region. Also, try avoiding heels and wear comfortable, flat shoes to reduce tailbone pain.
4. Try Yoga Asanas
Yoga asanas or poses that strengthen the spine, hips, and pelvis are the best for healing tailbone pain. Have patience, though. It might take a couple of months for the pain to vanish.
1. Mulabandhasana (Root Lock)
This yoga pose strengthens the pelvic floor and calms and relaxes the mind.
- Sit comfortably on your buttocks, legs folded such that the soles of your feet meet in front of your groin. This is the butterfly position.
- From this position, lift yourself slowly, putting
- Focus your attention at the base of the spine. Feel the muscles on the pelvic floor. Relax and do this a couple of times to get a feel of it.
- Try to contract these muscles. This is similar to the movement that you’d experience when you are urinating and want to stop the flow. The movement is to contract and raise the entire pelvic floor.
- Next, take a long, slow breath in. Hold your breath for 5 to 10 seconds and exhale. Release the lock and repeat the steps.
2. Shalabhasana (Locust Posture)
This yoga pose benefits the entire back by increasing its strength and flexibility.
- Lie down on the floor on your belly and place your chin on the floor.
- Place your toes on the floor, touching your knees to the ground.
- Place your hands below the hips in a way that your palms rest on the ground.
- Inhale and
- Hold this position and keep breathing.
- Exhale and bring the right leg down.
- Repeat this for the left leg.
- Next, inhale and bring both the legs up as high as possible keeping the knees straight.
- Exhale and bring the legs down and relax.
3. Balasana (Child Pose)
This pose is a gentle stretch that focuses on the lower back and tailbone area.
- Sit on your heels. Your knees should be slightly apart and toes joined together.
- Inhale with both hands stretched upward.
- Exhale and move forward. Press your palms, arms, and forehead on the mat.
- Relax in this position and observe your breathing. Relax your muscles completely.
- Inhale, look forward, and lift both hands up along with the body.
- Exhale and release and come back to the initial position.
Please make sure you speak to a yoga trainer before practicing these yoga poses. If you experience any kind of discomfort, notify your trainer immediately.