During winters, your hair can look lifeless, and with frizzy hair, the idea of humidity or rain can haunt you! Along with the weather, you can also blame the heat treatments, chemicals, and pollution that the hair is exposed to. These can damage your hair, and reduce their shine.
It is not impossible to manage dry, dull, and frizzy hair. Natural remedies like eggs, coconut milk, honey, olive oil, yogurt, and avocados have moisturizing and nourishing properties, that can bring back the moisture, and make your hair shiny and smooth. Hair masks made at home are inexpensive, chemical-free, and as effective as any chemical treatments.
Here are 10 home remedies to treat dull, dry or frizzy hair:
1. Olive Oil
Loaded with antioxidants, olive oil can keep your scalp healthy and also repair your damaged hair. It gives your hair a natural shine and moisturizes it.
- Olive oil
- Take a generous amount of oil according to your hair length
- Heat it till it is warm
- Start by gently massaging the oil into your scalp and hair
- Wrap your hair in a warm towel to lock the moisture it
- Leave it on for 30 minutes, and wash it off with shampoo
For best results, use this treatment once a week and also leave it in overnight. You can also use almond, jojoba, coconut, or avocado oil instead of olive oil for the hot oil treatment.
Eggs are excellent conditioners for dry hair. They can make the hair smooth and soft as they contain protein, and vitamin A, D, and E.
- 2 eggs
- Take 2 raw eggs and whisk them
- Wet your hair and scalp
- Apply the eggs thoroughly onto your scalp and hair
- Leave it on for 30 minutes to 1 hour
- Wash with cold water and use a mild shampoo
Use this treatment 2-3 times a week. Avoid using warm or hot water to rinse off the egg mask.
Avocados can rejuvenate the scalp and add shine to your hair. Olive oil help to repair the damaged hair, making them look healthy.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Mash or blend a ripe avocado after peeling it
- Add two tablespoons of olive oil to it
- Mix well and apply the mixture to your wet hair
- Leave it on for 30 minutes before you rinse it off
In this treatment, you can use 1/2 cup of coconut milk instead of olive oil to moisturize.
Bananas can add life to your dull looking hair. It can strengthen the roots and reduces frizz and dryness.
1 ripe banana
- Mash 1 ripe banana to make a smooth paste
- Apply the paste to your hair and wrap a warm towel around it
- Leave it for 30 minutes and rinse with water to remove the remains completely
Mayonnaise contains vinegar, lemon juice, and soybean oil which can reduce dullness and lock in the moisture as they contain vitamins and fatty acids.
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Shampoo your hair with warm water
- Take some mayonnaise based on your hair length
- Apply it evenly onto your scalp and hair
- Leave it for 30 minutes
- Rinse it off with cold water
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can reduce frizz, dryness, and dullness. The acetic acid in apple cider vinegar can cleanse the scalp, giving your hair a natural luster. It can prevent split ends by smoothening the hair’s cuticle. Apple cider vinegar is mixed with water to reduce its acidity before applying it on the hair.
- 1 part apple cider vinegar
- 2 parts water
- Mix apple cider vinegar and water in the ratio 1:2
- Washed your hair with shampoo
- Rinse it off with the vinegar and water mix
Honey can effectively retain moisture in the hair and reduces dryness. Yogurt is rich in protein and fat that moisturizes and nourishes your hair to keep it healthy.
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Mix 2 tablespoons of yogurt and 1 tablespoon honey
- Apply the mixture on your hair, from the scalp to the ends
- Massage and leave it on for 20-30 minutes
- Wash normally with shampoo
8. Coconut Milk
Coconut milk can tame dry, frizzy, and damaged hair. It is rich in vitamin C and E, that help in keeping the hair healthy and promoting hair growth.
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon essential oil (optional)
- Take some coconut oil
- Apply it evenly on your scalp and dry hair
- Leave it in for 20 minutes and rinse
9. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a good remedy for damaged hair though it also moisturizes the hair, reduces dandruff and relieves scalp, and promotes hair growth.
- 1 tablespoon aloe vera gel
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- Mix all the ingredients
- Apply it from your scalp to the tip
- Massage and leave it for 30 minutes
- Rinse with water
10. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds can reduce frizz and make the hair soft and smooth. It also adds a shine to the hair and reduces hair fall.
- Fenugreek seeds
- Soak the seeds overnight and grind to make a paste
- Apply this paste on your scalp
- Leave it in for 20-30 minutes and wash it off