Back spasms are the result of involuntary contractions of the muscles in your back. They are more common than you think and can sometimes be excruciating. They can be caused by a number of reasons such as the following:
- Injuries to the muscles, tendons, or ligaments in your back
- Heavy weight lifting
- Weak abdominal muscles – since your abdominal muscles support your back, your back muscles may be weak if your abdominal muscles are weak
- If you suffer from severe conditions like arthritis or a ruptured spinal disk – lower back arthritis could put pressure on spinal cord, causing spasms, while a ruptured spinal disk may exert pressure on the nerves in your back, resulting in a spasm
While you might find a number of over-the-counter medications to ease back spasms, it’s always a good idea to stick to natural remedies that will prevent any side effects. Here are 4 great home remedies you can try to relieve back spasms.
4 Simple Home Remedies For Back Spasms
1. Ice Pack
An ice pack helps reduce the inflammation in the affected area, relieving the pain. You can either use ice wrapped in a towel/cloth or a readily available ice pack.
How To Use
- Place the ice pack on the affected area first.
- Then, ask someone to massage the painful spot up and down and then sideways for about 15 minutes.
- Apply the pack as frequently as you can to feel relief.
2. Aloe Vera Gel
The anti-inflammatory property of aloe vera makes it great for relieving the pain caused by back spasms. Aloe vera gel soothes the irritated muscles, tissues, and tendons, reducing the pain and swelling.1
How To Use
- Pluck a fresh aloe vera leaf and extract the gel from it.
- Place the gel in a pan and
- Warm the mixture while stirring.
- Apply this mixture on the affected area.
- Do this twice every day to relieve your pain.
3. Turmeric Paste
Turmeric is not only a popular kitchen spice but also great for relieving inflammation. This makes it great for alleviating a back spasm.2
How To Use
- Warm 3 tsp of clarified butter.
- Add some turmeric powder to it to form a paste.
- Smear the paste gently over the affected area.
- Do this thrice daily to soothe your muscles and relieve your pain.
4. Castor Oil
Castor oil is said to
How To Use
- Warm a small amount of castor oil.
- Dip a thin cloth in it completely and place the cloth on the affected area.
- Place a woolen cloth on top of the one dipped in castor oil to keep the warmth trapped for about half an hour.
- Do this twice every day for relief.
- When your back spasm is severe, any movement is bound to be painful. So, avoid moving around too much and rest. Also, keep your knees slightly raised with a pillow under them while lying down.
- While it’s good to rest, ensure that you aren’t too inactive. Move around the house to get things done. Too much inactivity is likely to make your back stiff and lead to more pain.
- Avoid lifting heavy weights.
- Back spasms are said to be linked to dehydration and loss of electrolytes. So, remember to drink sufficient water.
Try these simple but effective home remedies and relieve your back spasm pain. If the pain persists for a long time, consult your doctor at the earliest.
|↑1||Vázquez, Beatriz, Guillermo Avila, David Segura, and Bruno Escalante. “Antiinflammatory activity of extracts from Aloe vera gel.” Journal of ethnopharmacology 55, no. 1 (1996): 69-75.|
|↑2||Chainani-Wu, Nita. “Safety and anti-inflammatory activity of curcumin: a component of tumeric (Curcuma longa).” The Journal of Alternative & Complementary Medicine 9, no. 1 (2003): 161-168.|