Tinctures are an effective way to reap the benefits of herbs. They are herbal extracts that are usually extracted in alcohol, in which the herbs are soaked for several weeks. Apple cider vinegar or glycerine can also be used to make tinctures.
Herbal tinctures can be used to treat a variety of problems, such as migraines, insomnia, nerve pain, sweating, menstrual cramps, and common cold.
How To Make A Herbal Tincture
Tinctures are usually made with alcohol as they last longer. However, ensure that you use 80 proof alcohol to make it. Here’s what you will need to make the tincture:
- Glass jar with a tight lid
- 80 proof alcohol/ vodka/rum/apple cider vinegar
- Muslin cloth
- Herbs of your choice
- Fill half the glass jar with herbs and pour boiling water over them to make them wet.
- For the remaining part, add the the alcohol or apple cider vinegar and stir well.
- Close the jar with the lid and store it in a cool place.
- Ensure that you shake the glass jar everyday. Let the herbs steep for about six weeks.
- Using a muslin cloth, strain the liquid into another jar and store it in a cool place.
If you are making the tincture with apple cider vinegar, store it in the fridge. However, it will stay only for 6 months.
1. Herbal Tincture For Insomnia
Sleeping problems are common. Instead of taking medications, herbal tincture is a natural remedy to help you sleep at night.
Tinctures need not be made with only one herb, a combination of herbs can provide you with the benefits of all of them together.
- 2 tablespoons dried yarrow flowers
- 2 tablespoons dried catnip
- 2 tablespoons chamomile flowers
- 1 tablespoon dried mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried hops flowers
- 1 tablespoon stevia leaf
- Boiling water
- 2 cups 80 proof vodka
- Glass quart jar with lid
- Put all the herbs in the glass jar and pour boiling water over it till they are all covered in water.
- Fill the rest of the jar with the alcohol or apple cider vinegar.
- Close the lid and shake it every day for up to 8 weeks.
- Once you have steeped it for 8 weeks, strain it into another glass jar and store it in a cool place.
Use a dropper to consume it. Add water to it and drink it before you go to bed, for sound sleep.
A usual dose is 2-3 dropper fulls for adults and 1 dropper full for kids over two. Add to some juice or water and take an hour before bedtime.
2. Herbal Tincture To Relieve Pain
Herbs are well-known for pain relief. When you feel the pain coming, have some herbal tincture to soothe the pain.
Arnica tincture was earlier used to cure blood clots by improving blood circulation, and to treat sore throat. In addition to it being a natural pain reliever, it can also prevent bruising.
Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, it is used to external application on sprains, muscle pain, acne, swelling due to fractures, and even insect bites.1 Ensure that you dilute the tincture before using it.
3. Herbal Tincture For Anxiety
Anxiety can affect you both physically and mentally. The restlessness and fear can take a toll on your daily activities, making it difficult for you to concentrate.
Motherwort is a medicinal plant with a wide range of health benefits. Primarily, it can decrease heart palpitations and high blood pressure associated with anxiety. Additionally, it can calm you without having a sedating effect on the body. It can also be used to reduce stress, amenorrhea, and relieve menstrual cramping.
Note: Consult your doctor for the dosage before using any tincture. Always store the tincture in a dark glass container.
|↑1||Klaas, Christoph A., Gerd Wagner, Stefan Laufer, Silvio Sosa, Roberto Della Loggia, Ulrich Bomme, Heike L. Pahl, and Irmgard Merfort. “Studies on the anti-inflammatory activity of phytopharmaceuticals prepared from Arnica flowers.” Planta medica 68, no. 05 (2002): 385-391.|