Have you ever gone to a restaurant or had an awesome meal that left you thinking “I could make a meal out of those side dishes alone!”
This recipe for grilled zucchini and carrots makes me feel just like that. I served this with chicken but when I went back the second time, it was for the grilled veggies, not the chicken. What really makes this dish for me is the spice blend.
- 2 large zucchini
- 4 carrots peeled with the ends cut off
- Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest – fresh or dried
- Start by mixing some salt, pepper, lemon zest (dried or fresh, they both work), garlic powder, and oregano in a small bowl and set that aside.
- Slice your carrots and zucchini squash. Slice the veggies about 1/2 inch thick. Personally, I like to slice on the diagonal because it’s pretty.
- In a bowl, add some of your vegetables, drizzle with olive oil, and add a generous sprinkle of the spice blend. Then, toss the veggies until they are evenly coated.
- On medium or med-high heat, grill your veggies for about 3-4 minutes each side. I like some crunch to my veggies so I look for nice grill marks and use that as my guide for when they are ready to flip.
- If you prefer softer veggies, stick to medium heat and let them sit a little longer. These can be served hot or at room temperature.